Friday, July 09, 2010

Before

And so it begins. Again.

I was doing really well at getting things cleaned and organized. I started with Daphne's room, then my desk, the food cabinet, the snack cabinet, the laundry cabinets, and two junk drawers in the kitchen. Then, we went out of town, and then had houseguests and a holiday weekend, and then several days of unbearable groove-derailing heat. I know I have a lot of kryptonites, but I think the real TRUE one is heat. It completely drains me of all power. I spent naptime the last three days on the couch watching Top Chef reruns, unable to move.

But today, I am fighting back. I just spent the last hour and a half starting the BIG SUMMER '10 CLOSET OVERHAUL. Above you can see the "before" picture. I am hoping to have an "after" shot to proudly show you in the near future, but based on the progress made this afternoon, it may take longer than I'd hoped.

I started with my hanging clothes. There was so much stuff in there that either doesn't fit, is from ten or fifteen years ago (I found a sweater with shoulder pads!!!), or that I simply never wear, so it's just taking up space. I now have two giant bags of "give-away" stuff. My plan is to research some kind of consignment type of situation to see if I can get a little money out of this. There is some really nice stuff in those bags that (I had to face facts) is never ever going to fit me again. I briefly became depressed and had to go sit down for a while during the "pants" section of the closet. But I got back up again, determined to at least finish going through the stuff on the hangers. And I did. Yay.

I had to leave in quite a bit of stuff I really don't like (old t-shirts and pilled sweaters), or there would have been nothing left. There is almost nothing in the closet that I actually like to wear or that makes me feel good. This is a problem, but over time, a solveable one I think. I shall just have to rebuild a wardrobe, one piece at a time, until I have assembled something that would make Stacy and Clinton proud. Baby steps.


Above is the next step. I do not have a proper dresser, so all of my socks, underwear, PJ's and housepants, hose, hats, gloves, etc. live in these unattractive ancient plastic bins from Target. So, I think maybe it's time to get a real piece of furniture to house this stuff in the bedroom, which would clear out a lot of closet space and would look a lot better. Plus, I might actually be able to find stuff if it was neatly organized in real drawers.

I will keep you posted of my progress. If there is any.

Have a great weekend. They say tomorrow, it may rain!

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Exciting times! :)

My wife has the same problem with her side of our closet: Trying on pants bums her out (no British pun intended), and there's not much in there she actually enjoys wearing.

Interesting that you don't have a dresser: is there a backstory behind that? (e.g., you had one in TX, but it was lost in the move and you never replaced it?)


--GG

Gye Greene said...

Oh! Your "before" actually looks pretty tidy, already...


--GG