Friday, July 30, 2010

A Pretty Good Book

Last week, I took Daphne to the library.  She played on the computers and picked out her books, and then it was my turn.  Theoretically.  My turn = making Daphne sit on the floor with one of her books by a column in an aisle while I quickly scan that same aisle for something with a cover that indicates it is not a book about murders, vampires, plane crashes, or recently divorced women on shopping sprees or trips to Italy.  I came home with three books.  Two were unreadable.  I didn't make it past the first chapter of either of them.  The other was a collection of short stories.  I like the idea of short stories, but almost always find them unsatisfying.  I can't take all that disappointment, over and over in the same book.  So on Saturday, I went to the library by myself, and I got this book (above).  I love it.  It isn't perfect - I completely agree with some of the issues reviewers have had - but it's different, and I'm finding it hard to put down.  More info here if you're interested.  I think this book would make a great movie. With an awesome soundtrack. 

Next, I think I am going to re-read The Secret Garden, which Daphne picked out at the bookstore yesterday.  She had a gift card from her birthday, so I let her choose what to buy.  We just watched the movie, so she wanted the book, even though she's really still way too young for it.  One of my all time favorites. 

A couple of quick things:  Project Runway started last night!  I have to say I am a little disappointed in the results of the first episode.  It seemed like the judges were more interested in keeping "characters" for drama's sake than in judging the actual pieces they designed.  But it's early, so we'll see. 

Also, great news!  Target has their school supplies section up and running, and it is awesome as usual.  I had to pry myself out of the notebook aisle.  Oh, to be a student nowadays!  (Well, we DID have better lunchboxes back in the 70s, so I guess that's something).

Finally, Kev has something up his sleeve.  Big secret plans are afoot for my birthday, and I can't wait.  I know I will love it, whatever it is. Especially if it involves someone who is not me deciding upon and executing the meal plan.  I will keep you posted.

The other day, I told Daphne we were having tacos for dinner.  Daphne loves tacos.  But, she said, "Mom.  Why do you always cook the same thing?  Why can't you make a VARIETY?"  What a stinker. 

OK.  Off to the park with our neighbors.  It's finally not a million degrees.  Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

What little kid uses the word "Variety"??? Great vocab.

Loved your checklist of "book genres to not get." Mildly surprised that "people lost/stranded in Antarctica" wasn't in there. ;)