Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Hot Hot Heat Takes a Day Off

Saturday morning, it rained for the first time in two weeks. This was much appreciated. It cooled things off significantly outside and gave us a day off from watering the garden. We took advantage of the break from the heat by biking to a local park for a picnic and attempted kite-flying.

This is about as high as we got the kite. It was breezy, but only in short spurts.
So we ate sandwiches for lunch and had Wegman brand Oreos for dessert (just as good as regular Oreos, and these were free...I had a coupon!)
Then, Kev and Daphne took a little hike around the park while I sat under the trees and enjoyed not being hot.

It would have been perfect except that Kev and I both stepped in dog poop, which someone had failed to clean up. It was fresh, and it was right next to the only picnic table in the park. Nice, huh?

The rest of the day was nice too. I actually took a nap on the porch swing, and in the evening, there was Dairy Queen. Yep.

Friday night, we tried a new (to us) Vietnamese restaurant in Sterling (Taste of Vietnam). It was pretty good, but certainly no 38A at Mai's. Daphne ate white rice. She refused to try anything else. She usually likes that kind of food, so I don't know what the deal was. After dinner, we went to see Despicable Me, which is the best movie I've seen in a LONG time, and definitely one of the best kid movies I've ever seen. It was really funny and sweet. It was my first 3D movie experience, and I was very suspicious going in, but I loved it. I can see how these 3D movies could be really tricked up and annoying, but this was very well done...not all over-the-top with special effects just for the sake of special effects. (I did find the glasses to be extremely cheap and ill-fitting...I had to keep pushing mine back up on my nose. They could do better for what they're charging.) Steve Carell is genius. So, go see this movie. I am about 99% sure you'll like it. I'm so glad we chose to see it instead of Toy Story 3, which I have heard is very dark and scary.

So, overall a great weekend. The heat is back, so it's back to hiding out in the house. That's OK...maybe I'll finish my closet.

2 comments:

Christina said...

In Rochester, my friends and I call Wegmans brand anything by it's W initial and then add the word. For example, the Wegmans oreos would be W'Os' (Wah Ohs, but said as one word)! Another example is how we call W soda pop, 'W'pop' (Wah pop)! I don't know if that makes sense to you, but I was actually referencing the Wegmans soda to an employee in Leesburg and he had NO idea what I was talking about when I said, 'W'pop!' I think it's definitely a local Rochester thing. In fact, it's probably even a generational thing. My parents don't call it that, but I know a lot of people my age that do.

Anyway, sorry for the long and silly story! I'm glad to hear that your weather cooled off and that it rained even if it was short lived!

Gye Greene said...

"She usually likes that kind of food, so I don't know what the deal was."

Hm! So it's not just **my** kids who do that, eh?

They used to eat spaghetti. Now they won't. Hopefully they will again.


--GG