Monday, August 16, 2010

Big City Weekend

It seemed like this whole thing was going to turn out to be a total disaster. As we drove into the District on Friday afternoon, it was raining like crazy and I couldn't stop blowing my nose. I was trying as hard as I could to not be sick on our one and only big weekend away, but the sick was winning.

We finally arrived and checked into Room 237 at the Dupont Hotel. The rain stopped, and we decided to get some lunch across the street at the Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe. (Where, by the way, the special of the day was the Barrack Obomelet. Please.) I got some hot tea with honey and an omelet with no political affiliation, which was all very good and temporarily made me feel better, and Kev got some butternut squash raviolis which were bordering on amazing. We ate outside, where it was delightfully cool, especially for August. Then we bought some books and went back to the room. I needed some rest, because by then I was feeling really awful. So, I rested, while Kev went to the record store. I figured the trip was ruined. But SOMEHOW, thanks to the rest, a nice hot shower, and the miracle-workings of the neti pot, I was like a new person by the time Kev got back. Bring on the vacation!

I wasn't 100%, but in spite of that, we still managed to pack in a lot of stuff and we ended up having a great time. We walked and walked and walked, ate lots of great food, bought lots of records, saw interesting buildings and art, shopped at Anthropologie, and went to a jazz show. In a cave. It was cool.

DC has a lot going on. We didn't come close to getting to do everything we wanted to do, but we decided to make this an annual trip. I'm already looking forward to next time, when I will hopefully not need a single kleenex or medication of any kind.
I want to thank Kev for planning the trip. It was exactly what I needed and I can't wait to do it again. As soon as possible. Thanks also to my mom and dad for staying with Daphne all weekend so we could go.
Now, back to reality. But that's OK. Hope you all had a good weekend too. Fall is in the air! I think I feel my groove coming on...

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

"As we drove into the District": You **local**, you! :)

"I was trying as hard as I could to not be sick on our one and only big weekend away, but the sick was winning.": That's a really good line. You're a good writer.


"I got some hot tea with honey and an omelet with no political affiliation": Another really good line. Like something out of a 1940s detective novel.


"So, I rested, while Kev went to the record store. I figured the trip was ruined.": That's an unintentionally amusing juxtapositioning. But I know what you meant. ;)


Glad you had a good get-away weekend, despite your disease.


--GG