Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter Breakfast

This morning we had a lot of ice on the ground outside. Our neighbor was scraping it off his car and driveway, which was very loud, and it woke up Daphne. Early. So, we decided to make baked oatmeal, or as I sold it to Daphne, "Oatmeal Cake." This is really good stuff, and I don't like oatmeal. I've probably blogged about this before. I love the idea of oatmeal. I love the smell of oatmeal. I just can't eat it. I've tried and tried. It's a texture thing. Anyway, I can eat this baked stuff all day long, AND it's good for me! Woohoo!

The recipe is here. You can look at the reviews for some good ideas for changing it up. It's very adaptable. I don't like raisins or walnuts, so I leave those out. I add cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, and cook it longer than the directions say because I like it a little more firm. I topped mine with craisins this morning and it was DEEEElicious. Daphne likes it with bananas on top. Kev puts milk on his. It's great for these cold winter mornings. It's very easy for kids to help with. It can even be made the night before, refrigerated, and thrown in the oven in the morning. EASY! And it reheats well, so I'll be having it again tomorrow. I wish it was tomorrow right now.

No comments: