Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Birthday

Three people I like a lot have a birthday today: my dad, my friend Tracy, and my friend Heather. So Happy Birthday to all of them, and I hope they have a good fun birthday.

Yesterday was Jan.24, and on the radio, I learned that research has shown Jan.24 to be the most depressing day of the year. If that's true, that's great. It means things can't get any more depressing than they were yesterday. Who is funding research like this, is what I want to know. I think that money and energy and time could be better spent, say, researching ridding the world of mosquitos, or developing long-lasting coffee makers, or making hybrid cars affordable to the common man, and so forth.

I also spent the last week watching the history channel's series called The Presidents. I learned lots of fun facts about the presidents, and have decided that my top 5 favorite presidents are:
  1. Abraham Lincoln
  2. Jimmy Carter
  3. Theodore Roosevelt
  4. Franklin Roosevelt
  5. Lyndon Johnson (he makes it into the top 5 for Civil Rights.)

If anyone is looking for some good music, try listening to Madeleine Peyroux.

1 comment:

K. said...

Here's my own opinion poll on the presidents.

Top 5 Best Presidents:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
3. Theodore Roosevelt
4. Harry S. Truman
5. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Washington usually makes this list but I think he was overrated. Eisenhower on the other hand was greatly underrated.

Top 5 Most Spare Presidents:

1. Millard Fillmore
2. Rutherford B. Hayes
3. James A. Garfield
4. Benjamin Harrison
5. William Henry Harrison

They ought to rename the Gilded Age to the Age of Fat Bearded Mediocre Presidents.

Bottom 3 Worst Presidents:

1. Andrew Johnson
2. Franklin D. Pierce
3. James Buchanan

Booo! Hisss!

Top 2 Most Insane Presidents:

1. Andrew Jackson
2. Richard Nixon

Actually, its a toss-up between these two.

Hey kids, history is fun!