Thursday, January 06, 2005

So I Married a....Granny?

Poor Kev. It's bad enough that his wife is a bird-watcher, but last night she was up late crocheting! He probably wishes he married someone more exciting who likes to sky-dive or belly-dance or at least eat really super spicy food. Well, in her defense, she did parasail last summer, she doesn't like Oprah or soap operas, and she wants to build a canoe. That's something.

Hey, here's a question. Do you think every female goes through a crochet phase? My mom did it for a while. I'm pretty sure most of my friend's moms did it too. My sister-in-law is really good at it. I like it, but i get hand cramps if I'm not careful. I am just learning. Last night I made a lumpy sort of circle. Just for fun.

Here's another question. Do any of you find yourself being extra nice to Middle Eastern people these days, as if to prove something? Or maybe to get them to not hate us? Last night, I made small talk with a nice Indian man at the Chevron-Mart when I was getting coffee. In my head, I think I was thinking I should do my best to make this person feel welcome here. In retrospect, it was probably silly of me to think he DIDN'T feel welcome here. Anyway, I think if it had been a teenager or a haggard old smokey lady, I might have not said anything at all. Is this reverse-racism? Is it white man's guilt? I think probably it would be better to just be nice to everybody.

One more: If you are on a trip to a country that has socialized medicine, and you break your arm, do you have to pay the doctors there?

OK, time to do something productive. Or maybe take a nap.

1 comment:

Robert_M said...

I don't think it's ever a bad idea to offer kindness.