Monday, November 14, 2005

I LIKE Maternity Pants! and Clint Eastwood.

This weekend, I decided to give Kev some guy time to record some stuff and make beer and whatnot, so I went to spend the night at my parents' house in the Land of Gar. JC Penney was having a huge sale on Sunday, which culminated with a "VIP" event for which you needed a special coupon but you had to wait until 4:00pm to use it. My mom had the VIP coupon, so we decided to go look at maternity clothes. But before that, since we had to wait until 4:00pm, we went to Babies R Us, just to look at stuff. It was very stressful. I have never seen so much stuff that I have no idea how to choose or use. No joke, there are about 50 or 60 different car seats to choose from, and just as many strollers, cribs, etc. How in the world are people like me and Kev supposed to know what to get? Everything was priced about the same in each category, so choosing by price won't work. And you should see how complicated the strollers are. Good grief. All I could think about was me and Kev spending hours and hours walking around Babies R Us with a notepad and Kev's ever-present tape measure, weighing the pros and cons of every high chair in the store. By the time we left, I just wanted to go home and curl up in a big defeated ball on the couch and let someone else just go pick out everything for me. I think I am going to need some help from you recent parents out there who have experience with all this new-fangled equipment.

Anyway, I had to shake it off, because there was more shopping to do.

So we got to the very very small maternity section of JC Penney, and started looking at stuff. I was a little baffled by the pants, but got some stuff to try on, and I'll be damned if I didn't like it! Marternity pants, while very weird, are so comfortable. Once I start wearing these comfy pants, I don't know how I'll ever go back to buttons and zippers. Plus, the shirts are really cute. I think I will be much better-dressed pregnant than I am now. So I got quite a few things, and thanks to my mom for getting me some stuff, and to my dad for spending so much time in the maternity section without so much as a grumble.

We celebrated my new expandable pants by going to Marble Slab for ice cream.

When I got home, Kev was still having guy weekend. He made popcorn and was about to watch Hang -Em High. I think he was hoping I'd go read or something, but I actually LOVE Clint Eastwood movies, so he said I could watch it with him as long as I didn't ask any girl questions. I got in trouble twice in the first five minutes of the movie, first because I made a sympathetic noise when there was a baby cow stuck in the water, and second when I shouted out "It's the Skipper!" when I saw Alan Hale Jr. in the posse that hangs Clint Eastwood. After that, I had to bite my tongue several times. It was all I could do not to shout "Book'em!" when Hawaii Five-o's Dan-O appeared later in the film. Anyway, Clint Eastwood is cool.

So, now it's Monday again. Kind of a drag, but at least I don't have to worry about pants anymore for a while.

7 comments:

Bleach said...

I just put together a stoller/car seat all in one for my buddy Tim. It seemed really handy and safe. If you want I will ask him what brand it is.

whitneydonkey said...

we had the hunter green Eddie Bauer carseat and stroller combo. It was really great.

I am glad you like those pants. They are comfy.

I like Clint movies and John Wayne movies too.

whitneydonkey said...

Jason Priestly is in Tombstone.

Julie said...

Car seats and strollers are a try and buy- you have to see what works best for you. I have a great infant seat I got from Jima- you should get one like this- it is real easy and lightweight. The new model is a little different but good-too. My friend Cindy's husband reads and researchs everything before they got their stuff- that could save you some time too. He is a bit of a freak about it all.

marty said...

is it ok for the child to be listening to Clint Eastwood?

Tara said...

No curse words in Hang'em High!

Gye Greene said...

General: Visit your friendly public library, and browse through the Consumer Reports. Each issue has an index in the back of recently-reviewed products. C.R. is good because not only do they list the better and worse products (usually in ranked order), but they include footnotes and comments as to why. They also include handy tips for what to look for, both good and bad (for both safety and quality/ruggedness). And they have nifty treadmill and hydraulic gizmos for testing ruggedness -- like for strollers, they probably fill it with weights, strap it to a treadmill, and let it run for a week. Nifty, empirical tests!

Strollers: Ease of setup/knock-down (try it out!). Strollers seem to be like cars: you have the sporty little ''umbrella'' models, the hurkin' SUVs (with -- literally! -- independent suspension), and everything in between. Our litimus test: could The Lady pick it up with one hand -- at arm's length? You'll be hauling it in and out of the trunk a lot, so this is an important consideration.

High chairs: Can you assemble it with one flick? (e.g. by grabbing a handle on the back?) When we were choosing high chairs, some took both hands and several levers; the one that we bought was such that you could have a baby on one hip, and with the other hand grab the back of the high chair and shake -- and everything snaps into place.


Here in Australia, it's hard to find a high chair that isn't ''branded.'' Instead of Disney, Barbie, etc., we went with old-style [pre-Disney] Winnie the Pooh.



--GG