Friday, November 18, 2005

I've Got a Fever...

Last night, we were treated to the episode of SNL featuring the Cowbell Skit starring Will Ferrel as "Gene" and the great and creepy Christopher Walken as Bruce Dickenson, record producer. That skit is genius. It makes me laugh all the way through, even before it starts, I crack up just in anticipation of what's to come. It was the first time Kev has seen it, and I worried he would be disappointed because of all the hype, but he laughed too. Oh, SNL, will you ever be funny again?

Kev told me that he once went to see Blue Oyster Cult in Poughkeepsie with his friend Steve. He said they had to share their table with some dude that kept chanting "BLT! BLT!" instead of "BOC!" It is unclear whether the dude was trying to be funny, or just had some serious spelling problems. I guess it's also possible that he wanted a sandwich to enjoy during the show.

For those of us from the south, Poughkeepsie seems like such a mythical made-up cartoony place, a city from the world of Bugs Bunny, but not a real place. But I assure you it is real. I have been there. It has a lot of strip malls, a couple of indoor malls, a train station, and apparently a rock venue worthy of BOC in its later years. It is the last stop on the Hudson Line, which takes you from Grand Central Station north toward beautiful Hyde Park, where Kev's parents live. In fact, I think it should henceforth be known as Poughkeepsie: The Gateway to the Hudson Valley, much like Fort Worth is Where the West Begins. That would be good pub, and Poughkeepsie needs all the help it can get.

Fun Fact: Terrible movie director Ed Wood is from Poughkeepsie.

4 comments:

marty said...

Kim n myself enjoyed the same SNL rerun last night, and according to comedian Lewis Black Poughkeepsie is where people should go to die.

K. said...

The Chance is actually a decent venue for a place like Poughkeepsie. In the 70's it was called Frivolous Sal's Last Chance Saloon, then it was shortened to The Last Chance, and now it is just The Chance. Someday it will probably be called The.

Some Chance history: In 1978, The Police played there (before they were famous) to a crowd of four, one of whom was the bartender. Fortunately two of the others were DJ's and helped them gain a foothold in the US.

I have a vague recollection of seeing some pretty spare bands like Triumph and whatnot play there. But then again I saw B.B. King play there and it was truly great.

I just looked up the tour schedule for Blue Oyster Cult (apparently at least one member is still alive):

http://www.blueoystercult.com/Road/OnTour.html

Not only are they playing at The Chance on 20 Jan 2006, they are playing at The Granada right here in Dallas on 3 Feb.

I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell.

-K.

Julie said...

I never knew it was a place- I just remember one of the guys on Ali McBeal use to say it to stop himself from stuttering. :)

Gye Greene said...

Never seen this sketch; why is it funny?

SNL used to be funny when I was in college, but wasn't really funny before, or after.

Maybe it's watching it with a bunch of buddies. Or maybe it was just 'cause I was the right age.

Or, maybe the writers stink. ;)


--GG