Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Radio Radio

Commercial radio is bad. If I'm in my car, I listen to sports talk radio in the morning and NPR from 10 until 2. But after that, I just have to flip from bad music station to bad music station and hope for the best. Sometimes I get lucky and land on MIX just as a Prince or Duran Duran song starts, but usually they are playing some kind of Dawson's Creek music. So, mostly I listen to the all-70's station or classic rock. Sadly, I usually hit a 7 minute string of annoying commercials, and if I DO get music, a lot of the typical classic rock songs are automatic punch-outs for me. Most of the Led Zeppelin catalog should just be retired, along with all Lynard Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special, and Steppenwolf. And I will never figure out what is so great about Bruce Springsteen. I'll usually stick with Tom Petty, the Hollies, CCR, and even Bob Seger (as long as it isn't Old Time Rock and Roll which is the worst song ever). Fleetwood Mac is listenable too, as long as it isn't a Christine McVie song. So, it's a real crap-shoot. My tape deck is unreliable, and of course I don't have a CD player in my lame car, and somehow I don't think the Buick is worthy of satellite radio. And I can't just turn off the radio and think about math and palindromes like Kev. What I'd like to hear, and I think this would do well in Texas, is a classic country station. It would play good old stuff like Bob Wills, Hank Sr., Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, George and Tammy, etc. It would be Garth-Free All the Time. Perfect for the afternoon commute. Somebody get that going.

3 comments:

john clarke said...

There used to be a station called The Range which would play decent country --- newer, non-shiny country that nodded towards the old stuff. I think it was located somewhere in the high 80's or low 90's on the FM dial. Maybe it's gone now because it played decent music. And we can't have that in Dallas.

If I were you, I'd take a strong look at sattelite radio. You can pick up a new XM Roady 2 unit for $40 bucks. And the cool thing about the Roady is you can take it from the car and play it on your home stereo too. Kevin could probably hook it up in about 10 minutes. And who cares if the Buick's sound system doesn't rock --- sattelite keeps you sane my friend. The music channels are outstanding (better than Sirius) and there's a cool NPR station is very heavy on Bob Edwards and This American Life. You'd be in heaven. The downside is you have to cough up about $100 for a year subscription. But I've totally gotten my $100 worth of enjoyment out of this expense.

Gye Greene said...

When I upgrade to full-time employment, we are so going to get a CD player in the car (1976 Rover sedan). No idea of current prices, but I'll bet the stock-standard ones are pretty reasonable.

Totally agree re: Bruce Springsteen. I've tried to like him -- and I'm sure he's a swell guy -- but everyone raves about ''Nebraska'' and it just bores me. Nothing ''catchy''.

Tom Petty's good, though -- I'd love to co-write a few songs with him.

CCR also good. :)


--GG

Julie said...

I am thinking it might be time for a new car with satelite radio- New baby needs good tunes!!!!