Monday, April 23, 2007

Go Joe!

It was recently both Easter and Kev's and my anniversary (4 years). We don't really do anniversary gifts. We usually just go out somewhere. This year we went to Cafe Madrid, which might very well be my favorite restaurant in Dallas. It has great Tapas, and as we found out this time, delicious desserts. Go there if you can. Get stuff that has manchego cheese on it. You will not regret it.

For Easter, we usually give each other a small basket of stuff, and this year, among the fancy mustards and Walker's shortbread cookies that are staples in Kev's basket, he got a GI Joe. Not the new crummy one, but the original GI Joe, with fuzzy hair and kung-fu grip. Kev keeps Joe on the computer desk, and sometimes when I come in to check email, I will find Joe in a different pose. It gives me something to look forward to. His current pose is pictured above.

In my Easter basket, I got the usual supply of chocolate to get me through until my birthday, and some bird post-it notes, and this gift certificate (below) to my favorite yarn store! Isn't it pretty? I can't bring myself to open it and ruin the wrapping job. It came with a little chocolate sheep. Nice touch. Kev is cool for going into the yarn store to buy it. He's probably the only straight guy besides the mailman to ever go in there. I need to decide on my next project so I can go buy some yarn.

Kev took the Peanut to New York for Easter to visit his family. She had a great time with aunts and uncles and cousins and dogs and Kev's mom and dad. I stayed home. Four whole days by myself. I spent most of the first day crying/worrying, but once they called to let me know they had arrived safe and sound, I began a sewing frenzy not to be believed. I made 2 skirts for myself, an apron, a skirt for Daphne, the re-cycled fruit skirt from the other blog, a tote-bag, and a few t-shirts. It was fun. But what I should have done was relax. Because by the time they got back, I was exhausted.

I lack the ability to relax at home. If I am home, there are things to be done, so I can't justify not doing them. I have to actually be removed from home to a place with nothing to do if I am going to do nothing but relax. I think the last time this happened was on the cruise I went on with my mom and aunts a couple years ago. When you are stuck out at sea, you can't really have a sewing frenzy.

I am going to have to work on this, because I am pretty keyed up most of the time, and I don't see a whole lotta cruises in my future. Step one is making myself go sit in my chair at least once a day. I think I'll do it now. I'll lament about the Mavericks first play-off game some other time.

Go look at the nice furniture Fooie made...it's on his blog. I envy his woodworking skills.

4 comments:

whitneydonkey said...

Kev goes to the yarn store because my mom sees Angie Harmon in there sometimes. Sorry Kev, the secret is out.

Gye Greene said...

Not relaxing: Is your sewing frenzy born out of guilt -- or because it's enjoyable in a putter-y sort of way. (Search your feelings, Luke...) If it's putter-y, then I don't think you need to feel bad about it.

If it's born out of guilt, maybe you just need more interesting books lying around the house. ;)

Chair: I meant to ask this when you mentioned the chair a few blog entries ago: what happened to the turtle stool? Different role/function than the chair?


--GG

K. said...

Gye: the turtle stool is Tara's frettin' place. It is known locally as the Stool of Despair. See June 17 2005 blog for further explanation.

Tara said...

Is not, is not, is not! The turtle stool is a happy place. I use it frequently to reach things that are up high in the house. Like the jambalaya cookbook.

Whitney, I am pretty sure Kev has no idea who Angie Harmon is.