Thursday, April 19, 2007

When Camels Cry

The closest movie theater to our house is the Angelika, so we see a lot of "art" films. It's pretty hit or miss with these movies. Some are great, but many are awful - trying too hard to be quirky or smart or surreal or whatever. A couple of years ago,, though, we were lucky enough to see The Story of the Weeping Camel, which is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Last week it was on the IFC, so we recorded it and watched it again. I think I liked it even more the second time, maybe because I have a baby now. Anyway, I looked it up, and it is on IFC a couple of times during the day next Wednesday. I HIGHLY recommend that you set your VCR, DVR, PVR, TIVO, or whatever you have and record this movie. You will NOT see any explosions, cool spy gadgets, or long and drawn-out car chases. It is a slow, calm movie. There are sub-titles. You have to pay attention. But if you don't like it, I'll be shocked. So next Wednesday, put the kids to bed, get yourself a cup of hot tea and a cookie, put on your housepants and get your quillow (if you are lucky enough to have one), and watch this movie. You will go to bed relaxed and happy and wishing you lived in a yurt.

(Look it up on Wikipedia for more info).

No comments: