Thursday, April 26, 2007

Tara Ingalls Wilder?

On more than one occasion recently, GG has commented that I would have been a good pioneer, and although this is very flattering, I feel I must set the record straight. So here is why I would make a terrible pioneer:
  • I do not like to lift heavy things
  • I do not like bugs of any kind
  • I do not like dirt, especially if it is on me. I particularly do not like dirt on my hands or feet
  • I have a very narrow window of comfort. Over 76 is too warm, below 67 I get chilly. That does not even factor in wind or humidity.
  • I would rather starve than have to kill and skin my own chickens
  • Indoor plumbing is a must
  • Where would I plug in my sewing machine?*

So, as you can see, my enjoyment of knitting and sewing and birdwatching and baking pies and so forth makes me more of a square old lady than a pioneer. But that's OK with me.

*(There are many more reasons, which I am sure the people who know me well would enjoy telling you about, but they probably shouldn't so they don't get in trouble. )

2 comments:

Julie said...

Oh come on tara- can't we have some fun with this??? :)

Gye Greene said...

LOL! O.k., square old lady it is, then. :)

Another one for your list: Childbirth, at home in your cabin, straw mattress, no anesthetic. I don't remember if you mentioned your experience w/ the Peanut, but The Lady had a C-section w/ an epidural, 'cause the kid was stuck sideways.


--GG