Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Colonel and Me



Every year in New Albany, Indiana (where I was born), there is a fall festival called the Harvest Homecoming, and part of the big production is a parade. This year I'll be going for the first time since I was about nine. One time when I went, I got to meet Colonel Sanders, who was one of the special guest stars of the parade. In the photo below, you can see me immediately after I shook hands with Mister Chicken himself. The picture is very low quality, because it is actually a picture of our TV pausing a video-tape of a super-8 movie of the time I met the Colonel. I would like to point out my awesome pony-tails...I would give anything if my hair was still long and smooth like that. Dang that bolt of lightning!

I included the KFC logo above because it reminds me of my friend Bryce, who used to think the bow-tie was supposed to be the Colonel's tiny body.

I know it isn't Flashback Friday or anything, but I was watching the video the other day, and I had just been telling Fooie about this brush with fame. Foo, I bet you weren't even born.

(Please don't eat at KFC...I think they are mean to the chickens). (They have good biscuits, though).




2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

O.k., this is the second time in a week(?) that you've mentioned this lightening strike.

Any chance of a blog entry recounting this?

And, do you have any super-powers or super-weaknesses that resulted from this? (Funny hair counts.) It seems like most of the people I know have some sort of super-weakness: for example, one lady can't drink tap water because it burns her mouth; she has to drink tap water.


--GG

fooiemcgoo said...

i heard the biscuits are made from crushed-up beaks instead of flower.

my grandma claims that the colonel took her recipe for fried chicken because he came in one day asking for recipes at her "roadhouse" which was famous for fried chicken, in it's hayday. It was off of Blackston's Mill in Clarksville, and was called the Jenny Wren. now there is a street there named that. ask your grandparents, they might remember it.

the end