Friday, January 18, 2008

Samsara


So, I used to have this friend who got into Buddhism for awhile, and was telling me about the concept of samsara*, which he interpreted as basically dealing with one's problems, or trying to find happiness, by doing unproductive things that have absolutely nothing to do with the problem and are pretty much a waste of time, like shopping, eating chocolate, doing unnecessary craft projects, etc. Anthropologie should re-name itself Samsara, because it is a whole shop full of wonderful things that no-one really needs, but that make you feel happy, albeit superficial, for a while. And I LOVE it. Pictured are some of my samsara from Anthropologie. No one NEEDS any of those things, but look how pretty it all is! The cool bowls were a gift from Kev, and the owl S&P shakers were from my parents. The owl candle holder I got today, as well as the orange chicken egg cups, and the bird stamps (below) that I have wanted for a long time. I think sometimes it's OK to need things you don't really need, as long as you don't go overboard. Tomorrow, I shall have my hard-boiled egg in style.

*I don't think this interpretation is quite right, by the way, but oh well.

5 comments:

Gye Greene said...

You like-a the birds. :)


--GG

Larry Feathers said...

Happiness through avoidance and a total lack of productivity.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Tara said...

It IS crap...that's why it doesn't work. Samsara is a bad thing.

Kathy said...

This is exactly how computer programmers solve their most complex problems. It's also called, "sleeping on it!"

... being of sound mind and body I do hereby bequeath my four weirdest bowls and one egg thing to my Aunt Kathy in Indiana.

Gotta go. Roomba is in distress!

Julie said...

Sounds just what the dr. ordered- I need some Samsura! more more!!!