Thursday, January 31, 2008

Short Cuts

Not much blogworthy material lately, but I wanted to quickly thank the inventor of the Self-Cleaning Oven for making life so much easier. (Take that, Easy-Off!). I hope with all my heart that that person, whoever she is, is in a room somewhere hard at work on self-cleaning toasters, and self-cleaning toilets, and self-cleaning blinds/windows.

I found this recipe and I am going to make it. Just because. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last night, Alton Brown showed me how to make home-made corn dogs. I think I'll have to try that, too. Maybe this weekend.

And finally, yesterday I made the easiest dinner ever, using a recipe my mom got at work: Stick a pork loin in your crock pot. Pour a can of root beer and one cup of your favorite BBQ sauce in the pot. Cook it all day. Then, discard the liquid, shred the pork with a fork, and serve it with more of your favorite BBQ sauce. Mmmmm-mmm.

I reckon I should thank the inventor of the crock-pot too.

6 comments:

Julie said...

That pork sounds YUMMY!!! I am goign to try that!

Bleach said...

Self cleaning ovens reak more havok than you know. It would take a while to write so I will Blog about it soon.

Tara said...

Brad, I hope you aren't going to tell me I am contributing to global warming or something with my self-cleaning oven. I spend enough time feeling guilty about things as it is.

Anyway, I've only used this feature once in the 5 years I've lived here, so surely the havok is minimal. It is probably much more harmful to cook for my family in an oven as dirty as mine used to be.

I am glad you read my blog. I hope you are still not smoking. And I want you and Ben to go see the Asylum Street Spankers at the KY Center for the Arts. You can find the details on the web. I promise you will like them.

Gye Greene said...

Corn dogs are great! Hard to find 'em over here in Aussie-land, though (although, mebbe they're in the frozen foods section; I admit that I haven't thought to look.)

Rather than discarding, couldn't you just drink the juice? Or use it for soup (stew?) stock, or sumthin'? Glad the meal turned out well.


--GG

Tara said...

GG...I don't know why you couldn't use the liquid for some kind of gravy or something, but here's the problem: by the time your pork has been cooking all day, all the yucky fat has drained off into the liquid so it's pretty nasty. You'd want to somehow separate it, and that would probably be way more trouble than it's worth.

Bleach said...

Nothing like that. No guilt involved.