Thursday, March 17, 2005

Elvis Costello and Good Mail

Greetings and Happy St. Patrick's day and happy birthday to my aunt Kathy, and happy wedding day to my cousin Crissy. I am still feeling pretty bad about yesterday's blow to Alaska, but in an attempt to be positive, here is some good stuff:

First of all, I went to the Elvis Costello show at Nokia Live in Grand Prairie with my brother on Tuesdsay night. This at least the 5th Elvis Costello show I have seen, and it was great as usual. Elvis Costello has my very favorite singing voice...nobody else sounds like him. One of the best parts of his show is when he goes off-mike and just sings. It's pretty amazing. His band was awesome, especially the great Steve Nieve who this time had a theramin among his various instruments. He was smart enough to use it effectively and sparingly. Too much theramin is not a good thing. Anyway, more proof that Elvis Costello is still good and still relevent. Go to see him if he comes to your town, and you will have a good time. Plus it's fun to watch a lot of white-people dances. Thanks to Jeff for the ticket.

Nokia Live is a pretty good venue. Our seats were great (center stage, about 15 rows back), and it seemed like pretty much any seat in the place was good. The people who worked there were friendly and seemed to like their jobs. My only complaint is the ridiculous 12 dollar parking fee. People should really revolt against that. As long as we keep paying it, they'll keep raising the price of parking.

The other night when I got home from work, I was happy and surprised to see I had received a package from Team Earth! Remember when I was talking about wanting to be on Team Earth? I guess some of their members read my blog, because they sent me a Team Earth flag, as well as an Ecology flag! It really made my day. I will admit I didn't know what the Ecology flag was, and searched the internet with no luck for about 20 minutes. When I left for the concert, Kev got on line and figured it out in about 2 minutes (of course). Anyway, thanks to the NY chapter of Team Earth for the cool and thoughful gift. I will post pictures of the flags soon.

All this steroid stuff is making me so mad. Oh wait, this is a blog of positivity, so I will skip the steroid talk.

Band news: I am excited to report that Rob and Julie have agreed to do some vocals for the PPHPHB once again, this time helping with the back-up to Blue Christmas. And Steve Nieve has inspired me to learn a new instrument, which is a small keyboard that you blow into. I don't know what it's called, but it sounds like a cross between a harmonica and an accordian. Kev has put his foot down, and won't let us get a sitar. I guess that's ok. Too much sitar is kinda like too much theramin.

3 comments:

Larry Feathers said...

The thing is called a melodica. You can get one for less than $100. Plus, you can get a theramin for about $130 on eBay.

Robert_M said...

I played a theramin solo at the science place once..reviews were mixed.

Robert_M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.