Friday, January 06, 2006

Dream Theater*

My dreams tend to be about one of two things. Either I dream of some kind of disasterous attempt to get from Point A to Point B, like being in an elevator when the cable breaks, or being on a plane that is crashing; or I dream about wildlife, often in peril, sometimes not. Over the past few months, I have had several, like at least 6 or 7, dreams about seeing an owl in the wild, and then running around excitedly telling people, "I have finally seen a real owl in the wild!," only to wake up and be sad that it's not true.
Even though it is usually not very interesting to hear about other people's dreams, I am going to blog about the one I had last night because it is all I can think of to blog about today, and you guys are probably kinda sick of Christmas Talk and Peanut Talk. So last night, I had this dream that I was suddenly back in 1997 or 1998 or sometime around there...late 90s. Anyway, so I had to decide what to do since I knew the future, and suddenly I thought, "I must save Peter Jennings!" So I decided I would go to Peter Jennings and tell him to go to the doctor and have his lungs checked, and tell him that whatever he did, not to start smoking again after September 11. Then Dream Tara thought, hey, wait a minute...September 11, I can STOP September 11! So in my dream I was urgently trying to come up with a plan for how to save Peter Jennings, and then get people to believe me about September 11, and then I woke up and had to go to the bathroom, which has become a thrice-nightly occurence (please somebody tell me my bladder will go back to normal after the baby comes). Then when I got back to bed, I started thinking about how of all things I could change, the first thing I thought of was Peter Jennings, and then I thought about in just those few years between 1998 and now, how many bad things could have been stopped, or people could have been saved from like the tsunami and Katrina, and so forth. And this kept me awake for a while, but I finally went back to sleep until the next time I had to go to the bathroom. I think I'd rather dream of owls.

* Dream Theater is a really terrible band that you might like if you are into Rush and Queensryche, but feel like listening to something harder. Dude. They probably actually spell "theater" with an -re, like theatre.

5 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Pretty interesting dream.

The frustrating bit would be that in real life, you could never get someone in a position of power to believe you.


--GG

Gye Greene said...

Oh: Would it be cheating for you and Kevin to go take a weekend trip to somewhere owl-intensive, like a national park or some-such?

--GG

Tara said...

I would go to the FBI/CIA and make them give me a polygraph test.

Believe me, we have been in plenty of owl intensive areas. The owls elude me. It breaks my heart.

whitneydonkey said...

You better stay away from that Gumbo! Those are some frustrating dreams.

Gye Greene said...

Good thought re: the polygraph test.

Unfortunately (and maybe I've seen too many of these sci-fi style movies), they'd just dismiss you as crazy (i.e. you're telling the truth -- AS YOU PERCEIVE IT!!!).

Luckily, it's just a dream...

...or WAS it???? ;)


--GG