Thursday, January 26, 2006

What Do I Do? What Do I Do?

I have a dilemma. Van Morrison is coming to town. And I LOVE Van Morrison. I have always wanted to see Van Morrison. His Astral Weeks album is my very most favorite album of all time ever. And as far as I know, he has never been to Dallas, at least not during my fan-dom. So, I should definitely go, right? But here's the thing. What if I go, and he's really really terrible and old and fat and can't sing and only does songs I've never heard? That would be a huge let-down. I would be devastated. Dangit. Well, I think I am going to have to go, because it may be my only chance. Dang. What do I do?

OK...here is some drama for you. The cops just pulled up out front, because, I'm assuming, Rush Knucklehead is at it again. Yep...cop approaching R.K's house...Cop is knocking at door...R.K. can't hear him because guitar is too loud...cop is walking around front yard, looking up at window..."Limelight" solo continues to blare...cop is at door again...no answer...cop wandering around...cop returning to cop car...cop moving car to R.K's driveway...getting out again...music stopped...cop is knocking at wrong door (it's an up-and -own duplex)...should I go tell him...no...R.K's dog out on balcony looking at cop...cop going back to car...cop sitting in car perhaps writing citation?...music still stopped...RK on balcony...spies cop car...goes back in...comes back out...oh no! Cop leaving...maybe he just gave him a warning. Dangit!

I think my neighbor Ron, of Dog Party fame, is the one who called the cops. He told me he has called the cops on him three times before. Clearly, it isn't working. But, at least he seems to have stopped for today. Ah, sweet silence. Now, what do I do about Van Morrison?

3 comments:

john clarke said...

I think you can count on the old and fat factor with Van. But I've heard some of his recent stuff, and the man can still sing.

Like you, I love Astral Weeks. But I fear that with all of the other material he's got out there that our favorite 1968 album will be overlooked while we get "Dominoed" to death.

Still, I might be in. Screw it. It's Van Morrison. I'll go. Lemme know. Maybe we'll caravan together.

Gye Greene said...

If in doubt, I tend towards "go for it" over "should have."

Example: Didn't go to my sister's high school play, because she said the play itself was stupid. Should have gone.

If the concert stinks, it's really just X-dollars from your purse, and a few hours out of your life -- and the album will still be a good album. (I mean, you're already married; not like when I was a young single guy and discovered that Natalie Merchant was uptight.) ;)

IMO.


--GG

goostermon said...

Even one good chorus of Moondance in person would be worth it. This past summer I went to see Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson ... talk about the OLD factor. Both had completely blown out their voices about a month before they showed up in Louisville. With all respect and admiration for their long careers and priceless contributions to music I will tell you .... they sucked. However, I find that I look back on that night fondly, with some pretty vivid mental images, particularly of Willie. What a great guy.

Go see Mr. Morrison and send him immensely powerful love vibes no matter his looks or how he sounds. He's given you timeless treasure. That my two cents.