Saturday, August 11, 2007

Birthday Extravaganza (or 39 Ain't So Bad)

So, it's my birthday today. I'm 39 now. OK. I'll just have to find a way to deal with it.

Turning 39 is kind of a drag, but celebrating turning 39 was great. Daphne went to stay with my mom and dad, and Kevin and I went to dinner and to see a really cool show at the Granada. The first band was Little Jack Melody. Didn't like them much. Little Jack was a little koo-koo. He had a stand-up bass player that made a lot of stink-face, which was entertaining. You know what I'm talking about, right? It's when a musician gets real into what he's playing, and makes a wrinkly nose furrowed brow sort of face, like something smells really bad. It is most common during rock guitar solos, so seeing this stand-up bass guy doing it was funny. I wonder why stink face seems so prevelent among musicians versus other professionals. You never see a heart surgeon make stink face as he approaches a particularly delicate artery. Anyway, the next band was Guy Forsythe and the Hot Nut Riveters, which I may have not spelled correctly. They were really cool, and if you can see them, you should. Someone at the show must have had a video camera, because lo and behold, I found some footage from the show on YouTube. Here are a couple of clips:





The sound is not that great, and these are not the best songs of the night, but there is a little taste for you anyway. I think my favorite part of the show was when they played Summertime, featuring Guy on the musical saw. It was cool.

The headline act was the strange but very talented White Ghost Shivers. YouTube had a clip of them from last night too. It is long, and does not show the hilarity of the tall skinny guy (there on the left) dancing, and the sound quality is terrible. I'm sure you can find better video clips of the WGS if you want.



Anyway, it was a fun night out.

This blog is going to be taking a little break, and will return in about a week. Then, I will show you some pictures of my two new adopted babies, so stay tuned for that. Until then, have a nice break from the LRHS.

No comments: