Friday, March 19, 2010

The Action Continues...

After a relatively normal Tuesday, things have kicked back into high gear. This photo is from Wednesday afternoon, when Daphne and some of her preschool friends took over the cul de sac with all manner of riding toys. It was a beautiful day, and I think all the kids and mommies had a good time. I was hoping Daphne would actually play WITH her friends, but she kept to herself most of the time, and dug in the dirt or attempted to mooch snacks off the other moms. I seriously don't know what to do about that. She constantly asks people for their food! Look at that picture! The kids are probably all sitting away from her because they're afraid she'll swipe their snacks! Anyway, it was a nice afternoon, and it resulted in a 2 1/2 hour nap for Daphne.

Yesterday was less fun. I had to go to a conference all day to get C. E. hours to maintain my SLP license. It was sort of interesting. The topic was neurology, specifically sensory processing. I am totally into that stuff. But as usual, the room was too cold and then too hot. The chairs were uncomfortable, the coffee was bad, and this time, there wasn't any food. You can usually count on a spread of bagels and danishes, but it turns out the people sponsoring the workshop can no longer afford to provide food in these tough economic times. The people at the Shackley meeting in the next conference room, however, had a giant table with all kinds of pastries and fresh fruit, and a mean guy to stand there to keep away anyone from our group who might attempt to take something. I just wanted to go home.

The good news is, I went to Five Guys for lunch, and enjoyed my cheeseburger and fries very much. And on the way home, I looked forward to a nice relaxing quiet evening because Kevin planned to take Daphne to the circus. Well, it was a nice thought, anyway. Instead, I arrived home to find that Daphne hadn't taken a nap, and Kevin had come home early because he thought he might have a stomach virus. So, he went to bed, and I was on my own all evening with a wound-up loopy little Peanut. We watched the Cinderella movie, which was fun, but not quite what I had planned for what was to be the first evening I would have actually been alone in my house since we moved in. Oh well. There will be more circuses. I am just glad Kev is feeling better today, and that no one else seems to be sick.

Today, I got up and baked bread and pizza roll palmier things (Darlene, I have made these three times now - love them!) to take to a disco party at a friend's house. There were a bunch of kids and moms and good things to eat, and Daphne is now sleeping it off. She had a great time. I spent most of the time guarding the dessert area, trying to keep away a certain little Peanut who wanted as many treats as she could get. I felt like the guy from the Shackley table. What is Shackley anyway? I would really like to be able to actually have a real uninterrupted conversation with another adult sometime without having to always scurry away mid-sentence to keep Daphne out of the sweets.

I think it's time for me to take a little nap. I am having a hard time keeping my eyes open, and it's only 4:00. Chances are, Daphne will wake up just as I doze off, but that's OK. Tomorrow is Saturday, and we don't have any plans until 6:30pm - a nice relaxing piano recital performed by the daughter of one of Daphne's teachers. Then, we have NOTHING planned for Sunday. And that's exactly what I intend to do.

No comments: