Sunday, March 21, 2010

SubUrban Outfitters

Well, I reckon it's official. I am now a Soccer Mom. Today, we took Daphne to the sporting goods store at the mall to get outfitted for her upcoming soccer season. The league sent out coupons good for today only, and half of Loudoun County was there, crammed into the small shin-guard aisle, some with their strollers. Needless to say, I was a little stressed. But, we got what we needed, and Daphne wore her new gear all the way home. Then, she practiced outside in the yard with Coach Kevin (aka "Daddy," but not on the field). She once again refused to smile for a photo...I guess soccer players are supposed to look tough.

On the way home from the mall, we had this conversation:

Daphne: Mom, I have something to say.
Me: What is it?
Daphne: I love you more than peanut butter.
Me: Thanks.
Daphne: Daddy, I love you more than peanut butter too.
Kev: Do you love me more than jelly?
Daphne: (Pause) Dad, I think we should talk about soccer.

Although Dallas apparently just got two inches of snow, Spring has arrived in the mid-Atlantic in full force. It has been beautiful the last few days. Yesterday, Daphne finally got to play with the Moonsand she got for Christmas. I had been warned to keep this stuff outside. Thank goodness. What a mess! But she had fun with it, so that's good.


Our cherry tree is blooming in spite of the damage it received during the blizzards. We had our first meal on the porch yesterday. I got to take my new cart to the farmer's market. And I feel a bike ride is in the near future. I can't believe how recently we were tromping through snow and having to wear hats everywhere.
OK...I'm off to do something else now. Like sit on the porch. Without a hat.

3 comments:

Anne Bentley said...

You can also have her play with moonsand in the confines of the tub. Don't add water until she is finished and then you can make it magically disappear.

Gye Greene said...

Soccer photo: Brilliant.

PB/Jelly discussion: Priceless. :)


--GG

Christina said...

That little conversation is hilarious! I also like her soccer outfit. I think shin guards will come in handy since I assume kids will miss the ball a lot. You'll have to let me know how soccer goes. Linnea has lost interest in it! :-(