Monday, March 15, 2010

Springing Forward


Well, it's Monday, and I actually have a few minutes to blog. What a crazy weekend. So much fun, but I am completely exhausted. We did all the things listed in the post below and they were all great.
The picture above is of my great-grandpa, Harry Sands, and my grandma when she was a baby. It's one that will be in the slide show at the big birthday party next month. I like it mostly because of the bike, and because my grandma still makes that same face. I have very few, but very specific, memories of Grandpa Sands. He and my great-grandma lived in a cute little house which always had little glass candy dishes full of butter mints and Brach's caramels sitting around on various coffee tables. They had groovy aluminum cups that are now banned because of toxicity. They had a small cabinet of children's books, and I remember Grandpa reading me the Pokey Little Puppy. In the back yard, there was a garden with a walkway winding through it, and at the very back of the yard was a slide. It was made of metal, so Grandpa would give me a towel to sit on, and he would catch me at the bottom. I'd like to go back there, but I'm sure it would be disappointing to see it now. It's probably nothing like my memory.

Daphne and I enjoyed the Cinderella play on Saturday night. She wore a fancy skirt and her ruby slippers. We were met there by some friends from preschool who were all decked out in Cinderella princess dresses. I wish I could post a picture, but probably shouldn't for privacy. But trust me, they were really cute. The play was interesting because it was performed by a cast made up of people with various disabilities, such as Down Syndrome and cerebral palsy and so forth. It wasn't the best acting I've ever seen, but the actors were really giving it their all and having a blast, and Daphne didn't even notice that they were at all different.
Friday was busy, with a playdate in the morning, then friends over for dinner in the evening. We discovered that there were some musicians among the preschool parents we have gotten to know, so we had spaghetti and meatballs, fruit salad, cookies, and some folk/bluegrass/sing-along post-dinner music. The kids even sang a little, and we had a great time. I really hope to do it again.
Yesterday, Daphne and I went to the birthday party of one of her friends, and spent one of the nicest afternoons we've had in a long time. Good food, great company, and more little girls dressed as princesses. And, Daphne skipped her nap, which made putting her to bed an hour earlier than usual a piece of cake. Maybe this time change won't be so bad.
This morning, Daphne's ballet class had its "recital." The parents were invited in to watch the last 30 minutes of class and see what they've learned over the past few weeks. It was about the cutest dang thing I've ever seen. Daphne did really well, except for being obsessed with her untied ballet slipper the whole time. Kev was able to go, and so were my mom and dad, and I think Daphne really enjoyed having a big audience.
So, now we have a couple of normal days. The sun is supposed to come out tomorrow and stay for a few days, and I'm looking forward to that. I can't believe March is half over.
OK...I think I am going to go take a rest and read a magazine now while Daphne is sleeping.
Or maybe I'll sleep too!


No comments: