Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Brief Window of Opportunity

Our DSL is very flakey lately. It has been down all day, but is working at the moment, so I am taking the opportunity to blog.

Today I went to breakfast with my friend John_Clarke. We went to Mecca, and it was quite a pilgrimage. It took like an hour to get there because some truck spilled a bunch of sand all over Northwest Highway and caused traffic to suck. But the food was good and it was worth the inconvenience.

Channel Five Chief Meteorologist David Finfrock is all a-flutter because we are expecting a possible "wintery mix" tomorrow. I will believe it when I see it, but I'm hoping for snow. All of you readers from the north would be making so much fun of us if you could see the weather reports down here, as if the BIG BLIZZARD is coming. Anyway, it is nice to finally have some cold Christmas-y weather. It was 89 on Saturday. That's practically 90!

Another Christmas toy party has come and gone, and in spite of my P.A.D.D., it went off without a hitch, and seemed to be a success. I had a lot of help from Kev, so thanks to him. He managed to pull off quite a feat himself, by getting the PPHPHB Vol. III CD ready in time for the party. I hope people will like it. It features lots of guests, which makes it more fun. On a related note, I was happy to see that somebody down-loaded "Sock Monkey Man" from Soundclick yesterday, which I feel is one of the more under-appreciated PPHPHB songs. I often wonder whatever became of the Sock Monkey Man, especially after Katrina and all.

Question: Does anyone know the origin of the phrase, "What the Sam Hill...?" Who is Sam Hill? And why do some people say Sam Hill, and others say Sam Hell? I am so sad that I can't ask the great Glenn Mitchell. He would know, I betcha.

Note to Marty: Can we get a field report on the status of Official LRHS Minor League Baseball Player, Tim Rall? Winter Meetings got underway yesterday, but I haven't heard much about the goings-on.

So, I'm gonna publish this now, because I fear a DSL breakdown.

4 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Not sure of the origin of the ''Same Hill'' phrase -- but I do know there was a rich eccentric in south central Washington State by that name. He built a full-scale replica of Stonehenge, on the top of a big hill overlooking the highway. Intended as some sort of WWI memorial, I think.

If you're driving thru Washington (or N. Oregon), you should check it out! :)

(Google ''Sam Hill Stonehenge'' for more info -- or ''Maryhill [the location] Stonehenge'' e.g.
http://www.laurabush.info/website/archives/25.html )

--GG

marty said...

The Rule 5 Draft is today I believe, and if there is any movement of Tim Rall I will let all know as soon as I know. Tim Rall was the Mariners 2005 organizational winner of the John Ellis Award (basically for community service).

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051118&content_id=1270256&vkey=pr_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

The bad news, the last two winners of the award were cut the next year.

marty said...

Update: Tim Rall has been selected in the 4th round of the minor league Rule 5 draft by the Oakland Atheletics. The curse of the John Ellis Award strikes again!

john clarke said...

Sam Hill. When in doubt, Google.

"There is a story sometimes told (for example in Edwin Mitchell’s Encyclopedia of American Politics in 1946) that one Colonel Samuel Hill of Guilford, Connecticut, would often run for political office at some point in the early nineteenth century but always without success. Hence, “to run like Sam Hill” or “go like Sam Hill”. The problem is that nobody has found any trace of this monumentally unsuccessful candidate.

On the other hand, an article in the New England Magazine in December 1889 entitled Two Centuries and a Half in Guilford Connecticut mentioned that, “Between 1727 and 1752 Mr. Sam. Hill represented Guilford in forty-three out of forty-nine sessions of the Legislature, and when he was gathered to his fathers, his son Nathaniel reigned in his stead” and a footnote queried whether this might be the source of the “popular Connecticut adjuration to ‘Give ‘em Sam Hill’?” So the tale has long legs.
The expression has been known since the late 1830s. Despite the story, it seems to be no more than a personalised euphemism for “hell”."