Monday, December 05, 2005

Lay It on the Li-eee-ine

If you ask anyone, "Who is your second favorite caterwauling Canadian rock trio?," their answer nine times out of ten will be Triumph. So one time in the 80's I went to see Triumph with a couple of my friends. Now, since it was the 80s, it was cool at the time to wear black rubber "Madonna" bracelets as far up your arms as possible. I reckon about twenty or so on each arm was about average. So there we were at the Triumph show with our Madonna bracelets. The show started and went about like all rock shows: hit, hit, new song, new song, hit, long guitar solo, long drum solo, hit with audience participation part (Now YOU sing!), unexpected cover song, hit, etc. Somewhere near the end, a stage rush is inevitable, and as usual, my friends and I ended up smashed up against the barrier in front of the stage. Then my friends got this wacky idea, and they started shooting Madonna bracelets like rubber bands at Rik Emmet, singer of Triumph. I may or may not have tried to stop them. Rik Emmet did not think this was cool. So next thing I knew, he was bent over us with a very mean look on his face. Then he held up one of his fingers at us while mouthing a swear word that starts with "f" and then he jerked his thumb toward stage left while mouthing the word "off." I was crushed. I didn't want Triumph to dislike me or my friends.
On the way home, we listened to the concert play-back on Q102. They were interviewing Rik Emmet about the show, which he said was great except for the stupid girls throwing stuff at him. I'm not sure, but I don't think Triumph has ever come back to Dallas.
And that is the story about how we got cussed out by the band at the arena rock show in front of thousands of people. Stupid Madonna. I like her now though.

3 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Great story! :)

So: You scared them away?

There's more than one Canadian trio? (Beside Rush...) Sorry, never heard of those guys...

My only good concert story is that I made small talk with Jerry Agustnyk (sp?), drummer of 10,000 Maniacs, as he signed his autograph on the back of my pay stub (only piece of paper I had handy). Really nice guy. Years later, tried to track him down by internet. Sent him an e-mail c/o an old bandmate, who replied and said he'd pass it on. No reply from Jerry Aug., though. :(

Suprisingly hard-hitting drummer for a ''mellow'' band.


--GG

whitneydonkey said...

I'm not in a twelve step program, but if I was, I would track down Ric Emmett and tell him I was sorry for that.

better than what happened to David Bowie in Dallas, with that lady and hotel room and all. We didn't have anything to do with THAT though.

tschy said...

Good story. Guess it is a good thing that he didn't call a bouncer over and throw you out...
I just looked up Rik Emmet on Google and he is still going strong. And one of the pictures on his web site looks like he still has the same basic hair-do.