Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Shopping A to Z

Who sang Shopping A to Z? Was it Cyndi Lauper? Toni Basil? Whoever it was, I am pretty sure it was a terrible song. But today, that's just what I did, and I am wiped out. Ready for bed and it isn't even 4:00 yet. And I still have to cook dinner. I would just order out, but my beans have been soaking all day and I reckon they need to be cooked.

Anyway, the Dallas Morning News is always showing pictures of stuff from a shop called Forty-Five Ten in their shopping/lifestyle features. It is usually really cute stuff, and I have always wanted to go in there, but until today I never did. So today, I went up to the door and got a bad vibe, but I went in anyway and I will tell you right now I will never go back to that place. It was totally shishi, with a bunch of super-model clothes and fancy soap and $68.00 candles*, and not one single person who worked in there greeted me or asked if I needed help. They all just ignored me completely as if I wasn't there. I don't think I looked the part. I nearly "boo-ed" loudly on the way out, but I chickened out and boo-ed quietly to myself while vowing to tell the world, or at least the blog, what a snobby crappy store it is. So don't go to Forty-Five Ten. It even has a pretentious name. Booooooo.

*I know how to make candles, and I can assure you that these $68.00 ones only cost about a dollar to make. Where do they get off?

Over the weekend, we went to see Walk the Line, and unless you hate Johnny Cash, you will probably really like this movie. It is very good. I'd give it at least 4 out of 5 penguins in my penguin movie rating system. Plus I got to have a BBQ chicken wrap and sweet potato fries while we were at the Studio Movie Grill.

Last night we watched Willie Wonka (the real one) on ABC family channel, and they cut out the part where they ride on the crazy boat. That's not right. Did anyone see the Johnny Depp one? Was there singing in that one?

Today we got a Christmas card from a family and I have NO IDEA who they are. It is really bugging me. It's one of those photo cards they make at Target or Walmart, and there on the card is this nice family of five all posed for their holiday picture, and on the back is a little description of what the 3 kids are up to these days, and I have never seen nor heard of them before. The only thing I can figure is that it is someone from Kev's work. I'm sort of against sending your personal family photo Christmas card to everyone from the whole office, even if you don't know them. It seems a little weird or insincere or something.

Well, I got a pot of beans awaiting me in the kitchen, and they ain't gonna cook themselves. Louisiana Red Beans and Rice with cornbread is on the meal plan for tonight. I won't even tell you how much I struggled with the meal plan this week. P.A.D.D., I tell you what.

5 comments:

whitneydonkey said...

i don't think I would like the new Willy Wonka. I do want to see Walk the Line, Fun with Dick and Jane, and NARNIA.

I am making mini hamburgers, I will tell my family that they are CRABBY PATTIES.

Beans rule. A big ole pot o beans sounds fun.

marty said...

I would just order out, but my beans have been soaking all day and I reckon they need to be cooked. (Tara)

it is lines like these that keep me coming back for more.

Willy Wonka da Duece was poor ..in my opinion. They were creative in illustrating a nice back story for Wonka, however they had ONE lil person with an orange tinge that was computer generated to represent thousands of Oompa Loompas

goostermon said...

may I ask .... what does P.A.D.D. mean?

Hey T. could I get your email address .... I'd like to ask a few non-blog-type questions, please. Mine is dbeck@erlinc.net.

Tara said...

P.A.D.D. = pregnancy-induced attention deficit disorder.

Gye Greene said...

And the second-place award for Southern-ish colloquial sayings is ''Don't that just beat the bugs bitin'?''

And the first-place award goes to Tara for: "Mah beans have been soakin' ALL day -- and I reckon they need to be cooked!''

Boy howdy! :)


Fourty-Five Ten: Probably named for how much a bar of smelly-soap costs.

Mystery photo Christmas cards: Back in college, a guy in my dorm worked summers at a photo-processing place. Saved some of the rejected photos, and mailed them to people with fake letters. But I forgot what he wrote.


--GG