Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Part 2 - Tamales con Amigas











On the Friday before Christmas, I went over to my friend Shannon's mom's house to learn the fine art of tamale-making. Shannon's mom (white shirt) is from Mexico, and was nice enough to spend a whole day teaching me, Shannon (pink shirt), Julie (orange shirt), and Shannon's daughter Collin how to make tamales. It is a long and involved process, which I am happy to report did NOT involve pig-face, or the face of any animal, for that matter. We spent several hours making tamales, and I finally had to stop and say I just can't do this anymore. We probably made at least 150 tamales. Then we ate some. They were good. So, a very special thanks to Mrs. S. for the tamale lessons, and maybe in a few years I will have the desire to make more tamales. Mostly, it was fun hanging out with my friends, which I don't get to do much, especially since Shannon lives out there in Los Angeles. Later that night, I went to see the Family Stone movie with Shannon and her sister. It is a movie that Kev would probably never agree to go see, and he wouldn't have liked it, so that was OK. It was a pretty good movie, but hard to watch because we were sitting on the front row on account of everyone in Garland was at the new AMC that night and it was crowded. It would be good if Shannon came to town more often.

2 comments:

tschy said...

Tara & Kevin - thanks for the PPHPHB CD for Christmas. I played it a couple of times. Justin's not quite sure what to think of it (his musical experience is pretty limited). Allison will dance (her version of dancing) to it if she is in a good mood.

Tara said...

You're welcome. Housepants music is kinda all over the map, not what you'd hear on the radio. Glad Allison is enjoying it. You're kids are getting big.