Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I Hurt Myself Today

Today I was all excited because my dad came over to babysit so I could do something for myself and go to yoga. I haven't been since I stopped going to pregnant lady yoga back in April and I really miss it. So, I went to this place in my neighborhood to try a class. You can go as a "drop-in" and pay per class, or you can get a punch card and pay for several classes in advance at a slight discount. Today, I went as a drop-in.

The class started off OK. The teacher was really nice and the other women in the class were nice too. The studio smelled like patchouli and there was some pleasant background music on. The teacher told me that this would not be like other traditional yoga classes I've been to, and that this was all about just "going to my edge." Fine by me. Especially since it's been so long since I've done any exercise besides walking. But as the class went on, the poses were really difficult, and the teacher would go around and start pressing on people, including me, and she pressed on me until I was well over my edge, and once I even had to say, "Ow ow ow." I tried but failed to find a picture on the internet of this one pose she got us into so I could show you. What a twisted mess! Still, at the end of the class, I felt really good. All loose and relaxed. I didn't even mind the hokey poem she read at the end. (I can overlook the hokiness factor of yoga if it's a good class.) And then a lady said she liked my orange shoes! So I almost bought a punch card. I get easily sucked into things when people are nice to me. But something told me to wait, and now it's several hours later and I had to take some Motrin because I kinda feel like I've been hit by a bus and I don't think I want to go back there again so it's a good thing I didn't buy a punch card. So, I am feeling a little sad that it didn't work out at this place, because it is walking distance from my house and now I'm going to have to try to find another place and be the "new person" again. Dangit.

And tonight we finished the last of the jambalaya I made last Friday, and Kev is leaving town tomorrow for two days, so all that makes me sad too. I swear I could eat Jambalaya every day.

Tomorrow, I am going to take a walk and make some pumpkin bread and cheer myself up. And then I'll start the search for another yoga class. OM....

4 comments:

fooiemcgoo said...

daphne has alot of personality i think. i like that.


i would like to make jambalaya. do you have a recipe? I made some kind of zataran's chicken concoction last night and it was god-awful. it tasted like ashes. the bad thing is that i have to eat it again for dinner tonight. i might throw it out and make jambalaya if i had a good recipe though. how does this one grab you?

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html

whitneydonkey said...

sounds like you are ok.
That yoga is some serious stuff.

Gye Greene said...

Yeah, good yoga places are hard to find. (Yoga, and walking, are the only two forms of exercise The Lady halfway enjoys.)

I'm not sure if ''pushing people **past** their edge is a good (safe?) tactic for a stretching-based activity. Or for any first-timer sport/activity.

Good luck finding a good yoga place. The Lady had one at our university in Seattle -- but clearly, no longer within walking (or driving) distance.


--GG

Gye Greene said...

Oh: You might already know this, but just in case:

I think it's Bikram-style yoga that takes place in a hot, steamy room. You'd **love** that... ;)


--GG