Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Screamer


My baby has started a new phase. What began as cute experimental "squealing with delight" has turned into bouts of screaming that could rival any of Jason or Freddy Kruger's victims. She mostly screams at her elephant (who we have named "Gerald," (above) but that's another story).* She tries to eat Gerald's feet, and when she fails, she begins to scream the most horrifying blood-curdling screams I have ever heard. This screaming can last as long as 20 minutes if I let it.
As a speech-language pathologist, I am concerned about her abusing her vocal folds. As a mom, I am completely beaten down, and terrified it will start happening in public places like the grocery store or the mall, or if it lasts until Christmas, Lord help me, the airplane.

Why is she screaming? Why is she so mad at her toys? I suppose it is just all part of learning to talk, but man oh man, it's wearing me out. Have any of you other parents out there been through the screamer phase? If so, please tell me it is a short one, even if it isn't. I need a glimmer of hope to get me through this.

* Elephant Gerald. Get it?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hey- Sugarbean did go through this early on- and yes it was short- she just wanted to hear herself. I least made the face of screaming back and sometimes made a scream and she laughed- and she would quit.

fooiemcgoo said...

ella fitzgerald?

mine screams now from time-to-time, but not excessively. she is a real turd.

i thinks she did 3-4 months quite a bit. from what i have read, it is them "trying out" speech, and sometimes they like to hear themeselves speak. i hope she doesn't turn into an adult who likes to hear themselves speak.

what you discribe sounds pretty serious. 20 minutes?

could it be frustration? I dunno.

you have an excellent chronical of your baby's life. i am sure she might like to see it someday. i wish i was more diligent.

btw, we have the same bouncy seat. unless you have mine. do you have mine? I'll go check.

whitneydonkey said...

overstimulation and frustration

kind of like at a Rush concert.
heehee