Monday, March 02, 2009

DC Weekend

My mom and Jeff arrived on Wednesday afternoon, after making the long long drive from Texas. I was glad. Jeff is going to be working in DC for the month of March, so he drove his car up, and Mom came along for the ride. She was supposed to fly back to Texas today, but as you may have heard, we got another blast of snow, so she is sitting in Jeff's hotel room, wating until tomorrow. I don't think she minds. I wouldn't.

We did a lot during their visit. Wednesday night, we went to Fireworks again for pizza. Thursday, I stayed home while they went house-hunting in Manassas. Thursday night, they stayed home with Kev and Daphne while I went to my neighbor's house to play Bunco. This was an interesting experience. The group that played is called Junior Women's Club of Loudoun, or something like that. It's a group of women who do community service types of things. So, I may join, but I have to think about it. I think there is an oath and maybe even a candle holding service thing, so I'm not sure it's for me. That being said, the ladies were all really nice and there was good food. When I got home, Jeff and Kevin were debating Communism vs. Capitalism, and my mom had her head down on the table. I sorta wish I'd stayed a little later at the Bunco.

Friday during the day, I went down to Manassas with my mom and Jeff for more house-hunting. Friday night, they babysat so Kev and I could go out. Our big date was a trip to the outlet mall in search of pants, and dinner at a Thai place that adjoins one of the local gas stations. The food was surprisingly delicious! The fact that I was up all night with a sick stomach is probably just a coincidence.

Saturday, I went into DC with my mom and Jeff, while Kev and Daphne had a "Daddy Weekend." (Thank you, Kev!) I had a blast. We got to see a lot of sights and eat really good food and ride the Metro. Mom got tired, but Jeff and I went out after dinner to see Washington after dark. It was COOL. I hadn't seen the Lincoln Memorial yet, and to see it at night was awesome. And if you haven't seen the Korean War memorial, I recommend doing that at night as well. But don't take your McDonald's in there:

The next morning, we ate the free hotel breakfast, and took my mom to see the White House. It is a pretty cool thing to see, even though I had been there before. You can get pretty close to it in the front, so it's easy to get good pictures:

I bet it's really pretty in the spring. Anyway, spring does not appear to be anywhere in sight. As I mentioned, we got several inches of snow in the area last night. So, we let Daphne eat it for breakfast. What a treat! Look how excited she was:


After breakfast, it was out to play in the snow. Unfortunately, it still isn't packing snow, so we couldn't make a snowman. Too powdery. But we had fun, and Kev stayed home today, so he got to play outside with us.



Mom got her flight changed to tomorrow, so she'll be headed back to Texas. That's good, because I think my dad is lonely. Jeff is coming back to our house next weekend for First Friday, so that will be fun. And I am hoping we get to go visit him in the District again before he leaves. It is SUCH a cool place, and so much to do. Action never seems to stop around here.
Speaking of action, I think I need to go change a diaper now. Delightful. See ya later.




2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

in search of pants: Remember the old "In Search Of" show, w/ Leonary Nemoy narrating (e.g In Search of: Bigfoot).

Sick stomach: bummer; sorry to hear

Daddy weekend: SO cool!!! :)

Non-packing snow: Hm. [Untested] idea: what would happen if you took a spray bottle of water and spritzed some snow? Would that add enough free moisture?


--GG

word: ''explaser'' -- sounds like an occupational title (''What do you do for a living?'' ''I'm an explaser.'')

Gye Greene said...

D.C. Weekend: Sounds like an '90s boy band.


--GG