Thursday, March 05, 2009

Spring at Last?

It seems like spring may finally be on its way. Monday morning's snow is rapidly disappearing, and today I wore a sweater instead of a coat, hat, scarf and glove combo. Tomorrow it may be in the 70s. The People Who Know have announced that the cherry trees are due to peak from April 3-9, which yesterday was hard to believe, but today actually seems possible. Just in time for our 6th anniversary, too. It would be nice to spend it strolling along a blossoming tree-lined path.

Here are a few LRHS quick-hits:

Daphne's new favorite band is the Kinks. She loves them. Her favorite song is Sunny Afternoon. We had a 20 minute conversation the other day trying to answer the question: Why is there a big fat mamma trying to break that guy? Today, she decided that King Street (the main drag in Leesburg) should be called Kinks Street, and she actually cried when I told her I wasn't allowed to change the names of streets. She also likes Hank. (Williams). (Senior). Daphne is cool.

Tomorrow I am taking her to a birthday party. I am totally freaked out about the kids blowing out the candles. I saw this episode of Food Detectives, see, where they proved that birthday cakes are practically dripping with bacteria after the candle-blowing-out ritual. Million Dollar Idea: someone should really invent some kind of removable cake-guard for these situations. I took Daphne to the local pharmacy today, and my nice neighbor, who happens to be the pharmacist, gave her the FluMist, and a lollipop to sweeten the deal. Better safe than sorry. Don't even get me started about library books. I am trying to just let it go.

Tomorrow night, Jeff is coming out from DC to join us for First Friday. Should be a good night out, especially if the nice weather sticks around.

Tonight I am making another recipe from the One Dish Meals cookbook. It is called Mexican Pork Pie. We shall see.

And finally, my goal this weekend is to get the bird feeders hung and filled. Spring is coming, and that means new birds. Gotta be prepared.

Daphne is up from her nap now, so I better go. Maybe we'll play outside for a while. I could totally use a break from Wow Wow Wubbzy.

3 comments:

Bleach said...

I have a theory that Jeff is in D.C. for Obama's healthcare summit and is possibly a canidate for Surgeon General. What do you think?

Also: I wish that debate between Kev and Jeff was available for download.

Re: the germs, what you cannot see is not real.

My Word verification is : Spaps.

K. said...

Jeff should grow a C. Everett Koop style beard to inncrease his chances of becoming Surgeon General.

I think it would be better if the Surgeon General got to wear a general's uniform. And a cape.

-K.

Gye Greene said...

I agree with K, re: Surgeon General.

When I was a kid, I thought the Surgeon General wore a white doctor's smock, but with a bunch of medals on the chest.

Cried when learned can't change names: Cute, but also sad.

Kinks: Good taste -- although I only have one of their albums -- but I like every song. (Try her out on Buddy Holly; see what she thinks.) :)


--GG