Monday, March 09, 2009

No Mo' Snow

One week ago, it was freezing and snowing. Two days ago, we ate breakfast on the porch. It was in the 70s over the weekend, and I loved every minute of it. We spent nearly the entire weekend outside, starting Friday night when we took a walk downtown for First Friday. There wasn't a lot going on. We saw a lady playing a harp and singing, and another duo playing Irish music. We went into the bank to see some opera singers, but Daphne couldn't take it. She made an awful face and put her hands over her ears, so we had to get her out of there. Not her cup of tea, I guess. She's more of a Kinks fan. We went in because there were supposed to be free snacks, but Jeff said it was "just a bunch of carrots and stuff." Anyway, we went home and had ice cream cake on the porch and let the Peanut stay up late. Big fun.

Saturday after breakfast, we went to the farmer's market to get eggs, meat, and cheese, and some apple cherry cider. Banjer-Dan was there again with his banjo, playing whatever anyone might ask him to play. Then Jeff headed back to DC and the rest of us went to a craft fair at the rec center.

Sunday we spent the morning outside. Daphne just wanted to dig in the dirt. At least she didn't try to eat any. Then we hooked up the Burley -

- and went for a short bike ride -

- and picnic on a park bench. Daphne is shouting "hooray" for picnics. Do you see my cool bike? I love it. I was riding it around and I felt like I was 12. So much fun.
So, it was another busy weekend, packed with activity. I am exhausted, but it was fun. So great to spend some time outside.
Today has been busy as well. I took Daphne to the mall to get her first haircut:


She was nervous at first, but she did it! A couple weeks ago, she would start crying at the mere mention of getting a haircut, but we read her a book from a series called "It's OK" about a cat named Tom Cat who gets a haircut and has fun. Tom Cat has sort of become her imaginary friend, which is fine by me because he talked her into it being OK to get a haircut. I wish Tom Cat had a book about how its OK to go poop on the potty. That would solve a lot of problems around here. Anyway, I took her to this place at the mall called "Cartoon Cuts," and Daphne had a great time, although I'm not convinced she got much of a haircut. She did get a "First Haircut" certificate. And now she's not scared of it anymore, so next time will be a breeze.


After the haircut, I took her to the soft playground in the mall, and we had lunch and rode the carousel. She let me shop a little bit, so I got a couple things for spring.

Now she's asleep, and I need a nap, but I think I better tend to the messes in the playroom and the kitchen first.
I did get my bird feeders hung this weekend, but they haven't been discovered yet.
And one more thing: I discovered this cool blog, so if any of you plan to come visit us, you can use it for research.




2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Soft playground in the mall: Nifty! There used to be a small playground, near the food court, in our local mall: they removed it for "refurbishment" -- waited a few months until people had forgotten about it -- and then installed a pay-per-hour internet kiosk instead. (Grrrr...)

Congrats on the warmer weather. Here, it's cooling down: today is lovely, gray and drizzly...


--GG

Unknown said...

Thanks for the mini-plug! I'll see all y'all again at the Farmer's Market on May 2nd!