Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday Afternoon Blog

Winter isn't going to go down without a fight. Yesterday, it was about 68 degrees, but today was cold and windy, and there is a possibility of a light dusting of snow overnight. I am putting my money on Spring, though. As you can see, our cherry trees are starting to bloom,

and the birds have discovered the feeders. I am a little disappointed that, at least so far, the birds here are the same ones we had in Texas (with the possible exception of one brown creeper, which I am only about 90% sure I identified correctly). So far, we've had cardinals, blue jays, juncos, robins, wrens, house finches (above), mockingbirds (yay!), chickadees, and titmouses. We also have a lot of turkey vultures and Canada geese doing fly-overs, and one day there was briefly a hawk (probably red-tailed) in the back yard. But, perhaps as spring migration continues and the weather gets warmer, some new birds will appear.

Yesterday was so nice that we spent the morning outside blowing bubbles and digging in the dirt. Look how happy Daphne is about that bubble.
I think I remember blogging once about how I don't like Domino magazine because I get mad every time I flip through it. They have a regular feature on the last page called "Ten Things that Make Me Happy." It is always some socialite I've never heard of, and photos of their "ten things," which usually includes items like their Prada handbag that cost more than my car, and their super-ugly designer diamond studded toilet seat cover and so forth. You know what I mean. Over-expensive stuff that nobody really needs. All Daphne needs is a bubble.
So, I've decided that I am going to do some blogs about (Simple) Things that Make Me Happy to help me keep my perspective and not get so caught up in always wishing I could buy new furniture and shoes.
That will have to wait until later though, as it's almost time to make dinner. Tonight, I am going all 70's on my family by throwing a bunch of left-over pasta and chicken in a casserole dish, mixing in some cream of mushroom soup, and putting bread crumbs all over the top. Everything's better with bread crumbs. See, it's the simple things.

2 comments:

K. said...

Maybe she thinks the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz is dropping by.

Gye Greene said...

Casseroles are indeed where it's at.

Spooky: word verific. is ''TINGS' -- Norvegian for ''Things'', as in ''Ten tings dat make me hppy, yah?''


--GG