Thursday, September 09, 2004

Groove: 1 Derailers: 0

Well, after the last two days of dealing with major car problems and mechanic turkeys, I am happy to report that my groove hasn't been derailed. I won't go into detail about the car, but I will say that people should do the job that they are trained to do, do it right, and do it the first time. And they should be big enough to admit when they screw up, and apologize rather than getting defensive and making up excuses.

Anyway, I think it has been a case of mind over brain chemicals that has saved my groove. There has been a lot of talk about brain chemicals from the likes of Kurt Vonnegut, Larry Feathers, some scientists, and people on TV, regarding how they (the chemicals) can affect mood and behavior. I believe this is true. And I believe that I experienced a huge increase in Cortisol yesterday during my anger spell, which made me all tense and made me want to yell and hit things. According to TV, Cortisol is especially bad if you are female, over 30, and stressed, as it leads to unwanted belly fat. So I decided that I had a choice. I could be angry and create more Cortisol, or I could just accept the situation and try to make good chemicals instead. I have found that I can get good chemicals by taking walks, watching birds, listening to good music, playing with dogs, and some other stuff. So, maybe it is possible for us to have some control over our brain chemicals without Prozak or Xanax or Ridilin. The implications of this could be astounding! This discovery is potentially going to get me some kind of Nobel Prize for science or medicine, so don't tell anybody about it until I can write something up in a professional journal.

Or maybe it's just the great weather we are having.

Either way, Groove On!

No comments: