Monday, September 13, 2004

Happy Mondays

The Saturday Dallas Morning News told me that Mindfulness is "in." That's good. Maybe that means people who throw trash on my street will become mindful that they are making my neighborhood dirty and smelly. Maybe people on Central Expressway will be mindful that talking on their cell phones whilst whizzing through the high-five is not the best idea.
It is not easy to be mindful. I try to do it during my walks. I am mindful of the trees and birds and cats and dogs in my neighborhood, and today I was mindful that I HAVE a neighborhood, as many people in Florida and the Caribbean do not. Then I saw some garbage, and big ugly new cookie cutter brick houses and heard lots of noisy construction trucks, and really had to force continued mindfulness. It was hard. I could feel Cortisol-Head coming on.
My favorite thing to do that facilitates mindfulness is my weekly Monday morning trip to Central Market. It is the best grocery store ever. First I get a cup of coffee from the info desk, and get a cart, which has a handy coffee cup holding area, and I hit the produce section. It is very colorful and it smells good and makes me want to eat lots of healthy fruits and vegetables. Since I am very fortunate to have Monday mornings off, I get to go when the store is not crowded and I can meander around smelling things and listening to the great music (today: Stan Getz and Miles Davis) and choosing the most perfect mushrooms and strawberries I can find. Usually there is a sample at the bakery (today: chocolate raspberry truffle) and the cheese cart (Swiss something) and the tortilla counter. The staff is friendly and seem to enjoy their jobs. I always feel super good happy when I am there.
It is a totally different experience on a crowded weekend. A real beating.
It seems that Hurrican Ivan is taking almost the exact route that my cruise ship is due to follow next week. I hope they re-route us, maybe to St. Lucia or somewhere. I guess there is still a chance we'll go to Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I was really looking forward to swimming with sting-rays. Time will tell.
Bird of the Day will return soon!


4 comments:

Robert_M said...

Sing for the laughter sing for the teeyah

Tara said...

I'm not sure I understand the Aerosmith reference, but I am glad to have a reader!

Robert_M said...

Don't distance from Aerosmith

K. said...

Super good happy??!? What does Central Market put in their coffee?

That would make a good Chinese restaurant name:
Super Good Happy Jumbo Buffet.

K.'s Theory of the Day
----------------------
96.5% of all Chinese restaurant names contain some combination of the following words:

Super
Happy
Jumbo
Panda
General
Golden
Peking
Szechuan
Hunan
China
Star
Wok
Duck
Empire
Chopstick

Go through your take-out menus, and you'll see what I mean.

You can also have fun by naming your own Chinese restaurant: General Duck, Panda Panda, Super Wok, etc.

-K.