Friday, September 03, 2004

Movie stars, killer waiters, and fun with Rob.

I reckon most people have a friend named Rob. I am lucky because I have TWO. They are both very fun, smart, and interesting people, and good friends. Last night, one of them went to see if the Chiefs could beat the Cowboys in a pre-season game. I can't comment, because I don't know who won, and besides, I am a Jets fan (wearing my Jets shirt right now!). The other one, who we will call "Rob R" attended the 5k against violence, so I got to spend some time with him, and a few other friends that I haven't seen forever. I have known Rob R since the 6th grade. He has a nice wife and two good kids and is one of the funniest people I know. He said that if I paint a giant portrait of him in an Admiral's uniform, he would hang it in his house. I just might do it. And he sang our whole high school alma mater during the walk, with guns up and everything. So, it's good to have friends named Rob.

The 5K was a big success. They told us that 1500 people showed up, so that's $30,000 for the family of the guy who was hurt. I really doubt if 1500 white people parading up and down Swiss Ave is going to make the skinheads think twice about hitting people with beer bottles, but it was good to help with the money part, and it was GREAT to see my friends. Big Movie Star Owen Wilson was there. I think maybe he was supposed to be the official starter. There were also lots of good dogs, including Marmaduke, whose head came up to my shoulder.

After the walk, Kev and I went to Two Rows for dinner. It was a lovely evening so we sat under a tree on the patio. Suddenly a leaf fell out of the tree and landed next to our table, only it wasn't a leaf at all, but a leaf-looking insect of some kind...possibly a katydid. It was cool looking. It crawled up my purse, which was on the ground, and made like it was going to leap toward me, so Kev gently flicked it to the ground. Then (imagine this part in slow motion) the waiter brought us our check, put it on the table, noticed me noticing the bug crawling up my chair, kicked it off my chair, and squashed it into oblivion. Nooooooooooooo! But it was too late. Dead bug, and it was all my fault. I was crushed.

On a happier note, I got some cool Nike roller skates yesterday for $19.97 marked down from $119.00. They are light blue and orange and sparkly white, and I have every intention of using them.

It was a big day for a Thursday.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Thanks, Blogalicious! Tell your friends!