Tuesday, November 14, 2006

B-I-N-G-O

I wonder how much we can tell about the Peanut's future personality based on her behavior at 5 1/2 months. She seems to be a very determined baby, who is easily frustrated and easily stressed-out. She also seems to be very curious and fascinated with anything new, whether it is exciting and colorful like the fishtank at Central Market, or a tupperware lid she's never seen before. She loves music, and especially likes string instruments (the melodica and accordian and kazoo make her cry). She also loves looking at herself in the mirror. If she is really mad, she says "ging" or "ning" and she has developed a very fake whiney cry for when she just wants attention. I guess a lot of this is pretty typical for babies. But it will be interesting to watch her develop from a baby into a kid. I worry about kindergarten. You see, her dad is teaching her all the wrong words to children's songs. For example, after the itsy bitsy spider goes up the water spout, Kev's version has water coming down to wipe the spider out. And he has the poor monkey chasing the weasel around the mulberry bush, which is from a different song. If Daphne is anything like her dad, which I think she will be, we are really in trouble when she gets in school. I can just see it now. The children are gathered at circle time and something like this happens:

Teacher: OK, boys and girls, today we are going to learn a new song about a dog named Bingo.
Daphne (thinking): BORING...I've known this song since I was like 4 months old.
T (singing): There was a farmer, had a dog and...
D (hand shoots up into the air): Uh, Miss Winklebottom?
T: (sighs, she's been through this before) Yes, Daphne?
D: That's not right.
T: What's not right?
D: The words. You're singing the wrong words. It goes, "There was a DOG who had a BONE and Bingo was his name-o."
T: No, sweetie. There was a FARMER had a DOG.
D: I am sure you're wrong. Why don't you look it up?
T: Well, let's sing it my way, just for today.
D: OK, but it's not right.
And because Daphne is so convincingly sure of herself, poor Miss Winklebottom will be home later that night scouring the internet for the lyrics to Bingo, gin and tonic by her side. I have a feeling Kev and I will be getting a few calls from teachers in the future.
But for now, I am just going to enjoy my funny little baby while I can. Yesterday it made me cry to think how soon she's not going to be a baby anymore. In the meantime, I think I'll work on teaching Kev the right words to children's song. There was a dog who had a bone! Where did he learn that?

4 comments:

fooiemcgoo said...

I sing songs the wrong way all the time. I figure the words aren't important. I guess you are right though, sooner or later she will want to know the lryics... hmmm.

i always sing twinkle twinkle little star, how i wonder what you are, up inside the sky so bright, like a shining sat-a-light. which is just absurd.

good bloggin. i like babies.

marty said...

You must remember, Kev was raised by wolves

Julie said...

She needs to know the real words but since she can't say them yet- I don't think there is any harm done.... YET. :)

Gye Greene said...

Stability of personalities: Pretty stable, although its easier to tell with toddlers or little kids than with babies.

Happy, cheerful kids at 2yo will most likely be happy & cheerful at 20. Quiet, pleasant kids become happy, pleasant adults. Bossy-boots at five, helpful ''advice-giver'' at 25. Etc.

Some variation in degree, but pretty obvious trajectories. (It'll be interesting to look back at the old blog entries, when D. is an adult, and say ''Yep! Still her.''

IMO. I'm no child psychologist. ;)


--GG