Monday, November 06, 2006

Technical Difficulties Over for Now...Sorta

So, for the past week, I have had no computer. Ours is broken. Well, now it's sorta fixed. We have access to the internet, but no virus protection or pop-up blockers, so we have to be careful. I am typing this blog in something called "word-pad" because we don't even have Microsoft Word at the moment. It's pretty bare bones. The prime suspect for our recent computer crashes is the USB port, so we aren't using it at the moment. That means no mouse, no printer (our printer is also broken anyway!), and no hooking up the camera to load in the recent photos. So, alas, I can't show you my October Pie-of-the-Month, or me in my pumpkin hat, or other recent pictures. We may end up having to haul off and buy a new computer, which would suck because that would be the third one in less than five years. But, what can you do? I discovered last week when I was living like the cave people that I cannot live without my computer. I need it. There are projects to do and things to search for and blogs to read and blogs to blog.

The Peanut is napping, so I am going to try to catch up on a weeks worth of un-blogged blogs. First, an update on my fall/winter goals: I finally went to Make and took a class. I learned to do screen printing, which is a very cheap, fun, and useful thing to know. Whenever we can load photos, I will show you something I made. I think I am going back to take another class soon. I had so much fun. I managed to get a pie made on Halloween, just in the nick of time for October. I just made a quick and easy blackberry cobbler, which tasted pretty OK once it was warmed up in the microwave and covered with vanilla ice cream. If I have time after this, I will blog a pie blog. What else? Um, the bird feeders were filled by Kev on Saturday, but they are already empty again, so I will have to go fill them up sometime this afternoon or tomorrow. I believe my birdseed supplies are perilously low, so that means a trip to the hated Wal-Mart, because Target does not carry the safflower seed I need to keep the grackles away. And I have been taking lots of walks with Daphne. She loves being outside. We took her to the lake yesterday for a little picnic and she had a big time. I can't remember my other goals at the moment, so I'll have to check, but overall I think I am making decent progress.

Yesterday was the Peanut's five month birthday, so we gave her some birthday squash to celebrate. It was her first real food besides cereal, and she loved it. I think she is going to be a good eater. She is getting to be really fun. She loves eating time and bath time and she loves watching her daddy play the guitar. She is great at rolling and getting better at sitting and is trying to figure out crawling, but usually ends up going backwards with her current method. She also laughs out loud a lot more, and is making lots of fun new baby sounds. She is also still very high maintenance though, and needs a lot of attention. We are constantly trying to find new ways to entertain her. Her favorite thing these days is being pulled around the house in the laundry hamper like a train. Kev even has a train whistle, and he goes from room to room with her making stops to pick up various toys along the way. I will put pictures on when I can. It's pretty funny.

Well, I have more to blog, but it will have to wait until later. It's nice to be back on the air. I have missed reading all of your blogs.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Sorry to hear about the bad computer. I feel stranded w/out my near-daily e-mail 'n' blog checks, as well.

PC, not Mac, right? A quick fix for no antivirus is one by AVG: free (if you get the ''non-professional'' version), and works just fine. Just do a Google for it.

You'll keep the current, wonky computer if you get a new one? Maybe for the kid, for typing?

Is the USB port permanently connected to the motherboard? Might be useful to try one o' them $30 add-on USB cards, see if that helps any.

Screen printing: Does this forbode nifty PPHPHB t-shirts in the future?

An apple a day keeps the grackles away, so they say. (If I Googled it, I presume I'd discover it's a pushy bird? Sorry -- I'm not as bird-savvy as yourself.)

Kev & guitar: Does she get to strum the guitar herself, at all?

--GG