Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hostess with the Mostest

How many different ways can you combine Hostess snack cakes (TM) with pudding and tubs of cool whip? Well, if you aren't sure, and you are salivating at the very thought, you can find out by going to http://twinkies.com/ and browsing through their recipes. You will find things like Ding Dong Mousse, Ho-Ho Pudding, and Twinkie-misu! Who knew there were so many things you could make filled with delightful preservatives and delicious trans-fats. It is a good thing I didn't have access to these recipes in the 1970's, or I'd have been a 200 pound fourth-grader. Oh, how I loved Hostess snack cakes! I even had special ways of eating each snack cake. With Ding Dongs, I would eat the chocolate coating around the side first, then the top, then the bottom. Then I'd eat the cake part, getting as close to the cream filling as possible before finishing it off. With Hoho's, I'd eat the coating off the ends first, then the rest of the coating, and when I got down to the cake part, I'd unroll the thing and eat the cream first, then the cake. I never cared for Twinkies. For a couple of years, there was the added bonus of Hostess baseball cards on the bottom of the box. I collected them, and played with them a lot, arranging them into teams and stuff. Bake McBride had such a heroic afro! The poor Peanut will probably never get to experience the joy of eating Hostess snack cakes, in this health-consious world we now live in. She'll never get the chance to sit two feet from the TV on a Saturday morning, staring at the greatness of Fat Albert, bowl of Fruity Pebbles on her knee. She'll not get to shout, "Leggo my Eggo!" Kinda sad. Maybe someday, though, I'll let her make me some Ding Dong Mousse for Mother's Day, and I'll let her have a taste. And while we're at it, I'll put in my Fat Albert DVD. Hey hey hey!

2 comments:

Julie said...

ha! I don't even think kids can take them to lunch anymore in public school. OH well- it is up to us parents to expose them to the tasty treats in a moderate way! :)

Gye Greene said...

When I was a kidlet, the chocolate coating on Ding-Dongs was too strong for me; I always had to pick it off (and, IIRC, give it to my younger sister). I've since become more robust in my chocolate-consuming capacity.

I always thought Twinkie the Kid was a way cooler mascot than that King Ding-Dong guy.


--GG