Thursday, January 29, 2009

The (Next) Snowy Day

Yesterday, I needed baked goods. It was my turn to make dinner for the family across the street that just had twins, and I wanted a loaf of ciabatta and some dessert to go with it. Kev had my car, and I couldn't get the stroller through the crunchy snow, so I had no other choice but to pack the Peanut into the sled and pull her across town. Above is the W&OD trail, covered in winter. Below, is Daphne on the first leg of our trip.

It took a while, but we arrived at one of our favorite places in Leesburg, South Street Under, to pick up the goods. We stayed for some coffee and a fruit cup before making the trek back home. I don't know what that face Daphne's making is all about. South Street has awesome fresh breads and really good breakfast sandwiches. I haven't been for lunch yet, but I'm sure it's great. They also have coffee. I am out of coffee. Looks like I'll have to venture out again today.


On the way home, we passed by the Battery Warehouse.



This is the Battery Warehouse. Thank goodness we have a battery warehouse nearby! They have batteries for almost anything! I shouldn't make fun of it. It's probably a really nice little mom and pop store. And it's scheduled to be torn down soon. I hope it's replaced by a coffee shop or an ice cream store, but I still feel bad for its owners.


Surprisingly, Daphne insisted on walking almost all the way home. Usually, if we don't have the stroller, she decides about half-way home that she wants to be carried. This time, she made it to about 100 yards from the house. "I'm just too tired, Mommy," and she sat down in the middle of the sidewalk and refused to move. So, I had to pull her the rest of the way, which wasn't easy because we were on a section of sidewalk that had been shoveled, so I was pulling her on brick.
But, we made it. It was quite an adventure, and actually a lot of fun. And it killed a lot of time when we would normally be just sitting around watching Noggin.
Last night, I went out with the neighborhood moms. We had a really great time. I think I might actually end up making some friends.
I hear Daphne waking up. How I wish I had some coffee.
"MOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYY!"
Well, that's my cue.



2 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great adventure! Maybe you should get a snow mobile or some snow shoes. We have lots and lots of ice here. I hear you are heading for Texas. Have a safe trip.

Gye Greene said...

''Covered in winter'': very poetic. :) You should use that in a PPHPHB song.

Friends: That'd be nice. Haven't really made any ''friends'' since moving to Brisbane. Lots of nice co-workers -- but no-one I'd have lunch or dinner with (my personal rule of thumb: would you bother seeing them outside of work).

Although, I guess my in-laws are friends.


--GG

word: ''hempe''. French for ''hemp''?