Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Snowy Day


Yesterday, it snowed and snowed, and then we went outside to play. Going outside to play in the snow is a big production. There is lots of piling on layers of clothes and boots and trying to find mittens that will stay on the Peanut, and lots of searching and searching for appropriate and suitable snowgear for me. I realized yesterday just how unprepared we are for living in a place with winter. We have no snow shovel. I have no waterproof gloves, or even a proper outdoor coat. My heavy coat is too nice for snow play. I guess we'll just have to be ready next year. Anyway, it was all worth it in the end, because we had a blast. Today, the snow is covered with ice, and is probably too crunchy to play in. Oh well. I'll just stay inside and bake something.
In spite of how much work it is to go out in the snow, I still prefer the cold here to the miserable hot of Texas summers. When you go outside in the hot, you just feel sick and drained. But after you play in the snow, you feel a good kind of invigorated tired. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it. And you get to enjoy a nice hot bowl of soup or cup of hot chocolate when you come in. It's great. I don't think I'd like it if it lasted for months and months, though. We just get a nice little taste here, and it goes away.
That being said, I am looking forward to going to Texas next week and enjoying sweater-weather. I think it is supposed to be in the 60's. Nice!
Today, I may attempt a snowy hike to the bakery up the street. And tonight, I am going out to dinner with all the women on the cul-du-sac behind my house. What?! A social activity? Yep. I am looking forward to it. So, we'll see how it goes.
Off to make the Peanut some breakfast. She'd probably be happy with a big bowl of snow.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Big bowl of snow: When we were in Seattle, my sis-in-law had the kids make their own snow-cones, using **real** snow (scooped some up from a ''clean'' area...). Big pile of it in a mixing bowl; spoon it into cereal/soup bowls; pour that flavoring syrup that they have at espresso stands over it (raspberry, I think we used).

Worked surprisingly well! :)


--GG