Friday, June 04, 2010

Murphy's Law

This morning, I put the finishing touches on the party preparations. I cleaned. I shopped. I decorated the dining room a little for our family celebration. I neatly gathered all the outdoor stuff together for a quick backyard transformation in the morning. Then I went to pick up Daphne from my parents. As we got home and pulled into the driveway, she got sick all over the backseat of the car. Yep.

She was actually sick yesterday after school too, but we thought she was over it. I learned the hard way that she wasn't. So, sadly, we've had to postpone her party until next week, which means some of her friends won't be able to make it.

When she heard this news, she was devastated. "But MOMMMMMMY, it just HAS to be tomorrow!" (Sob sob sob). It was heartbreaking. Poor little thing.

I think she is feeling better about it now. We let her open a couple of "Last Day to be Three" presents to cheer her up.

She got a kid-size broom! YES! You wouldn't think that a broom would make a little kid so happy, but it did. She's always trying to use my broom, and she can't manage it very well. So, now she can sweep to her heart's content. Thank you, Home Depot. (And that is the first, and probably the last, time I'll EVER say that. Home Depot is a total whip.)

She also got a bag of little things, including some Hot Wheels cars, "D" sticky notes, and this Beatles shirt. It turned out pretty good. I might just make one for myself. Of course, she had to strike a rock and roll pose.
So, Daphne's last day to be three wasn't the best, but at least there were presents. And she got to eat jell-o and popsicles all afternoon. So that's not totally a horrible morrible day.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to let the whole thing go. The party will happen, just not tomorrow. It's probably for the best. There were signs all week that a party this weekend just wasn't meant to be. On top of planning for the party and doing all of my usual Mommy duties, I was preparing for Daphne's graduation, helping coordinate the teacher's gifts, battling ants in my kitchen, and trying to get the neighbors together for a farewell night out for my awesome neighbor Martha who is moving back to Louisiana, where she's from, and leaving me as the sole person I know who says "Y'all," loves grits, and "fixes" to do things. Then, this afternoon, I had to clean the evil-smelling backseat mess out of my car, and make a bunch of phone calls to re-arrange the party. I had to leave a lot of messages because almost nobody was home, and I haven't heard back from some people, so there may be party guests arriving tomorrow ready for action. Now, I'm trying to air out my car for obvious reasons, but it's raining so I had to roll up the windows. I think tomorrow, I probably need a break more than a party. It's all good. Next Saturday, I'll be ready. At least there are no lions.
Here is a happy little video from the moving-up ceremony:

Tomorrow, I'll have a four-year old. Just like that. Like I said. It's all good.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Wow! And she's not a particularly barfy kid, is she?

Broom: Yeah, all my kids love to sweep (and use the toy carpet sweeper). We're hoping it lasts through their teenage years.

Excellent R&R pose.

Thx for the linguistic indicators. I say "Y'all", but I'm more oatmeal than grits (although they're fine, too), and I don't "fix" to do things.

Although I **do** say that I think it's fixin' to rain. But that's an affectation.

Maybe you can import someone.


--GG