Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Scenes from the Polar Vortex


No school Monday.  No school Tuesday.  The Magic 8 Ball said it, and it was true.  So. we made the best of it.  Daphne got very bored, and then she got creative.  On Monday, there was a big puppet show when Kev got home from work.


On Tuesday, she got out all of her plastic animals, arranged them, counted them (124!), and played with them.


I did a lot of this:


And we busted out this:


I decided that since there was nothing I could do about the snow day*, I would just embrace it, and use the time to bake something with Daphne.  We had all of the ingredients for pumpkin bread, so that's what we made. 


I got a kitchen scale for Christmas, so Daphne got all Alton Brown and weighed the flour and sugar.  


The pumpkin bread turned out great.  I can't stop eating it.


Daphne is at a sewing class downtown now.  We walked.  It was COLD.  Most of me was fine, but my face was numb by the time we got to the Finch.  I got a ride home.  And Daphne has a ride home too, so I don't have to go back outside until tomorrow.  I am sure the kids will be going to school tomorrow, although I guess it's conceivable that school will delayed an hour or two.  I guess I could consult the 8 Ball.  But I think I'd rather be surprised this time.

*For the record, there is not really much snow to speak of.  School was cancelled for "unprecedented low temperatures" due to the polar vortex.  Um...OK.  On a happier note, citizens of Loudoun County were asked to refrain from such things as dishwashing and laundry to conserve energy.  Thank you, Polar Vortex.






No comments: