Saturday, January 04, 2014

The New Year So Far


Well, 2014 has gotten off to a cold cold start.  On New Year's Day, I sneezed for hours.  Then we took a walk outside, had some tea, and I took a nap and woke up feeling fine.  I don't know if it was the walk, the tea, or the nap, but I am thankful for whatever it was.

Then on Thursday, it started to snow.


It snowed more and more.


Until it looked like this, so they cancelled school for Friday.


All night long, the wind blew.  Santa was missing the next morning, but I found him face down in the corner by the back door, cold, but safe and sound.


We made left-over Guinness Beef Stew into pot pies.  


We've been playing with our new Christmas stuff.  There are rocks tumbling in the basement in the rock tumbler - a gift from Mimi and Papa.  Daphne had a friend over to help her make bubble gum with her bubble gum making kit.  And she sewed an owl during the snow day with only a little help from me.


Today, Kev helped her assemble a trip-wire that sets off an alarm when you open her bedroom door.  I cringe with anxiety every time I go in there.  It's like Buddy the Elf testing the jack-in-the-boxes.    That's me in the doorknob.


Kev got some new speakers and he got to play with them today.


He also assembled a pinhole camera from a kit he got for Christmas.  He took a few pictures, but they are pretty dark.  There is a learning curve with pinhole cameras I guess.

Kev gave me a copy of my blog from 2009 in book form, and I read the whole thing already.  I also read some crafty books I got from my parents and listened to some of my new CDs/LPs.

Daphne's new Magic 8 Ball from Santa has gotten a lot of use, and so far, it has been right pretty much every time.  It's starting to freak me out a little.  I'm afraid to ask it if there will be school Monday. I don't want to know if the answer is NO.

What really needs to happen is a Big Clean.  Christmas needs to be put away, and then the organization will begin.  Something's gotta give.  There is just too much stuff.  It's weighing me down.

We will finish off the weekend  watching Star Wars and having spaghetti and meatballs, with Ben and Jerry's Milk and Cookies Milk and WOOKIES for dessert.  Daphne has earned it.  She's growing up.


Look at that sweet little face.  I am a lucky mommy.

Lots to look forward to in 2014.  Family camping, a Tab Benoit show with Kev, visitors, and trips to Indiana and New York, new episodes of Sherlock (Jan 19!!!), sewing and knitting and bottle cutting and drilling holes in things.   But right now, I'm looking most forward to the cup of coffee I'm about to have. Happy New Year!



No comments: