Friday, January 31, 2014

Sitting Still


A lot of the snow has melted, but it sounds like more is on the way next week.  Maybe a LOT more. We had a friend from Texas visitng early in the week, but the last couple of days have been quiet and slow, with our company gone and Daphne back in school.  


Yesterday, we had some red beans and rice for dinner, with a side of avocado dip.  I won't call it guacamole, because it isn't, really.  It was just some mashed up avocado with a little salt and lime juice.  I don't like "real" guacamole.  I don't know why.  Do they put cilantro in it?  If so, that's probably the reason I don't like it.  But I like "avocado dip."  Simple and cool and creamy, and a good contrast to spicy rice and beans.  


This week we also had the roasted vegetable soup above, which was tasty and warm.  Grilled cheese on the side.  Lots of comfort food during these cold cold winter days.

And lots of dressing up.


I never know who I will meet next.


I have been going to work out almost every day, but I've also been doing a lot of sitting still.  Daphne's poncho is almost finished.  When that's done, I may get back to my quilt.  It would be good to have that finished, too.


In a way, I'm ready for spring.  It would be nice to see another color besides white and gray outside.  But at the same time, I love all this winter.  It's so much better than months and months of relentless heat and humidity.  When it's cold, you get to enjoy things like fires in the fireplace, big fuzzy sweaters, hot chocolate, warm KNITTED items, and all kinds of soup.  SOUP!  I love soup.  And I also think that when there is a nice long winter, you sort of appreciate the good things about spring and summer more.  I didn't appreciate ANYthing about summer when I lived in Texas.  I was just bitter.  For months.  And spring in Texas was practically summer.  Actually, fall in Texas was practically summer too.  So, I'm not going to complain about the winter.  Bring on the next big storm.  I will knit and eat soup and enjoy it.

Looking forward to the weekend.  We have nothing planned except watching the Empire Strikes Back. No plans are good plans.  That just means more sitting still.  

No comments: