Thursday, November 11, 2004

Dinner with the Activists

After some initial panic because I couldn't find the right building, I made it to the Sierra Club meeting. I got there just before the program was about to start, and I was greeted by several people with welcomes and smiles and handshakes. I immediately got invited to a birdwatching day trip next weekend, and a clean-up-the-lake project on Saturday. The program this month was a slide show of a trip to Wyoming in the Big Sandy area. There was some pretty spectacular scenery and moose and snow (in August!) and mountains and streams and lakes. After the meeting, I was invited to go for pizza and socializing at Pappas Pizza, so I thought, why the heck not. The food was bad, but the people were nice to me and they were very squippie and interested in birds. Some of them were a little over-whelming with political agenda talk, but that was OK. I think if I keep going to meetings, I will learn something and be able to help. They have a program where you can volunteer to take inner-city kids on day-hikes and camping trips. I think that is right up my alley, so I am going to check into getting involved with that. If anyone is interested, the Sierra club has web sites (national and local) which you can google to find.

No comments: