Thursday, November 18, 2004

Hank vs Garth

Last night I watched part of a show on CMT called The 100 Greatest County Songs of all Time. This was a very bad show with annoying hosts (Keith Urban, Austrailan Country Guy, and Kimberly-Williams-Paisley, spare actress married to lame country guy). But I thought I'd get to see some good footage of cool singers doing cool songs. Anyway, I can't really say too much because I didn't see the whole list, but I did see numbers 50 through 12, and I'll tell you this is a bogus list. First of all, in the two plus hours I invested in this thing, there was no mention of the great Buck Owens. Also, the very best country song of all time, I'm so Lonesome I could Cry by Hank Sr. came in at #29! And some of the songs that were "better" were " I Hope you Dance," " Amarillo by Morning," and the Dixie Chicks hit that I can't remember plus some other really bad stuff. I am now going to vow in public that I will never watch a list show again. I think I'll make my own lists from now on.

3 comments:

K. said...

Yeah, they ought to have a separate list for Young Country.

If you are ever in need of some country music lyrics, here's a website that automatically generates them:
http://www.outofservice.com/country/

Here's my top 10 list:
1. I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams Sr.
2. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
3. I Am a Lonesome Fugitive - Roy Buchanan
4. Walkin' After Midnight - Patsy Cline
5. Ghost Riders in the Sky - Johnny Cash
6. Windy & Warm - Doc Watson
7. Ball Peen Hammer - Chris Whitley
8. Dusty Skies - Ray Benson & Riders in the Sky
9. El Paso - Marty Robbins
10. Happy Trails - Roy Rogers

Oh, I almost forgot:

11. Song for Pancho - Palo Pinto House Pants House Band

Tara said...

If I made a list of Larry's Friends, Francine would be #1! I actually don't know any Brad Paisley songs, I just think he looks like he'd probably be lame. I will try to check out part of that show you mentioned.

Robert_M said...

Quality is not important, it's all about shifting units of good looking squeeky clean 'artists' who have a real sense of fashion.

Nothing wrong woth 'I hope you dance' just not a top 100 song.

R