Thursday, November 11, 2004

Sad bird news

Well, two whooping cranes in Kansas have been shot, according to CNN.com. It is very extra sad considering there are only about 500 whooping cranes in all. These cranes were shot by hunters who claim to have thought they were actually sand-hill cranes, which begs the question, why would anyone want to shoot sand-hill cranes? Evidently, it was opening day of "goose and sand-hill crane season" in Kansas. Do people eat cranes? Why do we need to hunt them? This news was upsetting, and I was so distracted by it this morning that I almost poured coffee in my cereal bowl. People often ask me why I care so much about things like whooping cranes and polar bears. I just think it is a shame that animals are going extinct, not because of any kind of natural process, but because of humans coming along and screwing up their world. The thing is, we're not only screwing things up for the animals, but for ourselves too. Eventually the damage will be irreversible. Make fun of me if you want to, I don't care.

No comments: