Friday, February 04, 2005

Fighting the War on Tara

Many people I know are sick, or have been recently, and I have been exposed to many a germ, and fought many battles these past two months against tell-tale throat tickles and feelings of general malaise. I am, however, happy to report that I am winning the war aginst this Axis of Ev-ill by using my arsenal of salt-water, fruit, and positive thinking. I refuse to get sick. I don't like being sick. I don't have time to be sick.

In other news, yesterday we went to the lake for a walk, and saw a black swan, several black-crowned night herons, cormorants as usual, mallards, coots, gulls, gadwalls and ruddy ducks, and two very entertaining pelicans, who bathed by splashing around wildly and then stood on a log in a Karate Kid pose to dry.

Tonight Kev's soccer team is playing in the championship game for his league, so a shout out to them for good luck. Kev will be playing with a possible hairline fracture in his foot, as well as some type of cold, so I put him right up there with Dirk Nowitski in the tough category.

Elvis Costello is coming to town, which is always cause for celebration.

I was reading a blog dedicated to the London Underground, or "Tube," (the subway), and there was a funny story about one tube station that was having trouble with gangs hanging out, so they decided to pipe in some classical music. This was apparently confusing and unpleasant to the gang members, so they left. Problem solved.

I was thinking that I might like to have a career do-over, so that I could be like a chick I saw on TV who gets paid to go on fabulous adventures for the PBS series, "Globetrekker." She got to go to the Galapagos Islands last week, which would be my ultimate vacation destination, but you have to be rich to go there (unless you are the chick on the TV show or her cameraman). She did have to drink some kind of mixture of juice from the yucca plant mixed with human spittle, so as not to displease the Ecuadoran tribesmen, but I reckon that's not a huge price to pay for getting paid to go to the Galapagos Islands. I also want to go to Cuba, but so far I can't figure out a way to do it legally. Actually, it is fine and dandy for American Citizens to go to Cuba, but we just aren't allowed to spend money there. Hey, maybe I could become like the new (and ever-so-slightly less annoying) Rick Steves, only my medium would be a Travel Guide Blog! And then I could get permission to go to Cuba for "work." Hmm...

Well, I hope everyone has a nice fun Superbowl weekend. I am for the Jets, and since they aren't playing, it isn't likely that they'll win. But one can always hope.

No comments: