Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fall

For the first time in a LONG time, there is no temperature above 78 degrees in the nbc5i.com 5-day forecast. It was so nice today (high 67) that I took my walk in the AFTERNOON! It was fun. I went around to all the little neighborhood shops that I like, and I ran into Javier, our ex-lawn-man, and talked to him for a while. Everyone was in a happy mood now that the worst is finally behind us.

However, not everything that goes along with fall is great. (Snobbery alert) There are a few things I don't like, and one of those is the sudden appearance of the giant holiday inflatable yard-art. First comes the inflatable ghost/pumpkin combo. Not scary ghosts and pumpkins, but smiley cutesy ones. Yuck. I hate them. I want to deflate them all, and I must not be the only one, because inevitably, that's how they end up: a giant pile of shrivelled white and orange nylon lying helpless on the lawn. But that's OK, because by then it will be time for the giant inflatable lawn turkey, and then to complete the trifecta, giant inflatable Santa. These things are bad. You mostly see them in the suburbs, but they do appear in my neighborhood. Interestingly, they are generally at the newly constructed McMansions. Hmmm...

Anyway, sorry. I guess I shouldn't try to tell other people how to get themselves into the holiday spirit, but personally I prefer the old school holiday decorations of my youth. If you happen to actually LIKE holiday inflatables, well then inflate your heart out. I will stick to real jack-o-lanterns, turkeys made by tracing my hand on some brown construction paper, and those little plastic hollow porch-Santas with the light inside. Ah, yes.

So welcome to fall, it seems to finally be here.

7 comments:

Julie said...

T- I think you might change your mind when you have children- they love those things thus parents get suckered into inflating away!! I think they are fun but the fire hazard scares me.

ps. I think Whit and Bob have a Snowman. :) so becareful with the slams. :)

Your suppose to be getting in a better mood with the cool temp!!

:) We will still be friends if you get some law passed about cell phones but I will continue to use mine. I am a rebel like that.

Tara said...

Yeah, I know, I know...a lot of people like them. But not me. No thanks. And if I ever have any kids, they're gonna have to kick it old skool too. They will grow up and say "My mean parents wouldn't let me have holiday inflatables," kinda like I'll never get over not getting an easy-bake oven. Oh well.

tschy said...

Julie stole my thunders...I was articulating in my head her exact position as I was reading. Kids love those gigantic things. I was at the new Lowes last night with my 4 year old son and he could barely take his eyes off the 20' santa and a huge inflatable glove with snow falling inside (like the little glass globes that you shake and and the fake snow moves around). Then again, I can certainly relate to your "traditionalist" approach. There are many things in this world that could be improved if more people did that.

whitneydonkey said...

bob's mom got us that snowman and also one of those big spiral lighted christmas trees for the yard.

We do have a new responsibility this year. living on the two lane highway and all.

the kids are getting a kick out of the santa that shakes his hiney, at wallmart. I am a traditionalist too, but when you see their faces. they love all that halloween stuff too.

Bleach said...

I was thinking about those inflatable things last night. How much do they cost? Another idea I wish I would have come up with. Maybe we could have miniture inflatable polititians at election time. Or one of me in every yard! YAY!

Tara said...

The ONLY giant inflatable I might ever consider putting in my yard would be a giant inflatable Brad. Or maybe a giant inflatable Dave Kelly. (this comment will only make sense to my cousins...sorry).

Gye Greene said...

''personally I prefer the old school holiday decorations of my youth...'': Old Fogey Alert!!! (''Wall, when I was a kid...'')

Inflatables: I wonder if what truly bugs you about the inflatables is that they're ''pre-fab,'' without any creativity or reflection of an individual's style. The solution is to mod them to your own style. Examples: Get an inflatable snowman -- and dress it up! Hang love beads on Santa. Etc. ;)


--GG